Been checking the waters for Steelhead

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
Checked a couple of nights now to see if the steelhead are cooperating. Caught a few so it's time to get some for the smoker. We get a couple of runs of steelhead here on the Clearwater that are fun to play with. I usually do the night fishing dragging lighted plugs around. We do pretty well with that. They are bright and fresh yet so now's the time to stock the freezer.

I bet, there coming up the Columbia now. Warmer water this year had them stalled out.

On the streams I normally fished here in BC, our run began around Boxing Day (the day after Christmas); we continued to see steelhead in the system until mid-April. There was a summer run on the Birkenhead River allowing me to fish for steelies in June. Yeah, I did enjoyed steelheading--immensely. Trust you have a great season!

The fish have arrived!! My wife caught a bright 20lb salmon last night. Smoking Steelhead is on the list now.

Cool. Just talked to a fellow who's been fishing the lower Coumbia and already has a LOT of salmon... He's not really into steelhead...

One of Indians fishing the Klickitat, told me a couple of days ago that 40 thousand passed over Bonneville dam earlier in the week. They are catching them as fast as they can dip them out.

Back