Alaska 2015

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Once again the four amigos returned to a small river, about 100 miles from Cordova, Alaska, and enjoyed a good fishing trip. We use fly rods, and target the silver salmon run. This year the fishing was more difficult, but we still caught quite a few silvers (coho) and also landed the occasional pink salmon as well as rainbow trout.

Bears weren't a problem at all this year. Found fresh tracks along the river daily, but never saw one. Did see a couple of impressive bull moose... Those things look like a LOT of work if a hunter were to drop one out here in the soggy coastal area...

I'll quit typing and post the photos:

Tool of choice for salmon and steelhead, 8wt St Croix - a really nice four-piece rod.

It didn't rain ALL the time...

Me, fishing:

Dad caught a mess of silvers! We treasure our trips together:

Tracks of the coastal Alaskan Brown Bear:

I don't have particularly small feet... And this wasn't from a big bear:

Already making plans for our return in 2016!

Guy

Excellent report, Guy. So pleased you were able to make another trip, especially since your dad was with you. Great pictures, as always.

Looks great Guy. A lost bear hunt isn't a bad trade for a fishing trip with your Dad.... Well done, hope you had fun! Looks like pretty country. Those fish must be fun to fight with. CL

Looks like home to me!!

I'm glad you all had such a great trip. Silvers on the fly are about as good as it gets in freshwater fishing, acrobatic, aggressive, and good table fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to go wrong with a 9' or 9'6" 8wt for silvers and steelhead. I have a sage 9' 7wt that I used to take all over Alaska when I worked airport and road construction. A small fly box and a multi tip fly line would cover most of the bases.

Great color on those silvers, brite chromers. Cordova is a beautiful area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pictures and what looked like a terrific trip.
I'd give almost anything to fish with my dad again. You are fortunate to have him.
Agree with bear. Hard to beat a 9' 8 weight for that type of fishing. St Croix makes some good rods.
Glad you had a good trip.

Thanks guys!

Dad wants to go again next year. Why not?

He'll be 89 and I'll be 60, so we're just a couple of kids on the river I suppose...

Good fun. Quite a way to spend some time and money. Makes us both smile. We've been doing this trip for a good while now - and I intend on going as long as Dad wants to.

Guy

Great pics as always Guy and Thanks for sharing. Spend all the time you can with your Dad. I've lost both mother and father and wish I still had them around to spend time with, both liked to fish and Dad taught me to fish and hunt early.
One day I hope to go to Alaska before I get too old to enjoy it.

Back