My kind of fishing

Darkhorse

Handloader
Mar 14, 2014
Sad to say, we don't have any steelhead or trout this far south. Mainly just bass, bream (brim), catfish and a little north of me some Stripers.
But I was raised up by hard scrabble country folk on both sides, and I've been fishing since my mama had to hold my belt to keep a fish from pulling me in. So a good bass or brim are alright by me and make fine table fare.
The family has a large pond on the land I hunt deer on and it is filled with huge brim and a few large bass. As I age I find this kind of easy fishing to be relaxing as opposed to the big boat days.
I don't have many photo's as for a long time it was catch and release for me but here's a couple.
First is a 10.25 pound bass caught August 1st. a few years ago. Not the biggest I've caught out of there but it now resides on my wall none the less. It was one of those 100 degree days and if you look closely you can see the southern gnats swarming around my hands. A pestilence for sure.
Then 3 bass in a cooler. One is fairly large but I don't remember the weight.
Next photo is a mess of brim caught this year. I was after a few giants for pictures but didn't get any. Several were 1 pounders though. I made one pass down one side of the pond and thunder clouds ran me off the water. I had planned on getting some good photos through the summer but I noticed the next trip that I had a hole in my keel, so I spent the next few months repairing my old pond boat. I made one more trip in September to test the boat but didn't catch anything good.
Anyway, this is the kind of fishing I do now with an occasional trip to the salt.

Attachments

• SS850018 (800x600).jpg
    SS850018 (800x600).jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 2,023
  • SS850046 (1024x768).jpg
    SS850046 (1024x768).jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 2,023
  • DSCN0361.JPG
    DSCN0361.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,023
Nice!
I haven't been fishing in years. Need to give it a go again sometime soon.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Very nice, I'm farther north of you and there's nothing like a nice relaxing day on the water catching small mouth bass and bluegills with a few crappie thrown in.

That is a respectable bass, Darkhorse. We had fewer largemouth bass and more smallmouth bass in Kansas where I grew up. I was fortunate, however, to catch more than a few largemouth in Texas. Bream have saved many a fishing trip for me--catching them on light line was always a source of joy. And crappie were always a pleasure to catch, and to eat. I was delighted when I discovered crappie in several lakes in the Lower Mainland of BC. I still recall the day when I was fishing for steelhead on a small stream in the Lower Mainland, only to be startled by a fighter on the end of my line. I thought I had caught a giant steelie. Imagine my surprise when I got the fish to hand and it turned out to be a smallmouth. They had been introduced to a small lake in the Lower Mainland and occasionally they slip into the egress stream. Since then, I've discovered several lakes that hold smallmouth. I've been told there are a couple of lakes that hold largemouth, though I've not found them. Thanks for some great pictures. And thanks for stimulating some great memories.

Well I have to admit that I'm addicted to small mouth bass fishing and have at least 20 rods and hundreds of lures still new in the box and 4 tackle boxes full that look like suit cases. Oh and I for got about the jet powered boat so I can run the rapids and class 3 white water to get to where others can't go. :mrgreen:

Largemouth bass are my Number 1 freshwater fish. Just in case the wife reads this we won't get into all the graphite rods and the baitcasters and spinning reels that go with them. Not to mention the lures, the braided line and the monofilament. Or the light stuff for brim. And I don't buy cheap.
I also have a good assortment of inshore saltwater rods and reels. The rods are out in the shop in those round cardboard tubes the mail order rods come in. And the best reels are in the house.
I could buy a good custom rifle and scope if I had the money in hand I've got invested in fishing gear. And I don't even have a big nice boat anymore.
Just an adequate one.
My wife is a keeper. With me it's either Deer hunting or Fishing with Turkeys in the middle and she's mostly quiet about it all.

Nice bass!

Very cool - and glad you're enjoying your fishing. For a long time, I've been much better about taking photos on hunting trips than on fishing trips. I think it's partly because I'm so danged busy on fishing trips - always doing something - and I just flat forget to make time for photos.

Except Alaska... I make sure to take some photos of that very special trip. :)

Guy

Guy, My problem with pictures is that I'm almost always solo. If I went to Alaska like you do with other people I'd definitely take some pictures. That is if I could put down the rod long enough. I might just be mesmerized.
Cherish the time with your dad. I use to go fishing with mine a lot. But he's been gone many years now. The memory's are still here though.

I do fish alone rather a lot. I like the solitude on a river, with my fly rod. Just the fly rod and the river. Everything else fades away.

Guy Miner":3ktkcski said:
I do fish alone rather a lot. I like the solitude on a river, with my fly rod. Just the fly rod and the river. Everything else fades away.

Ah, the Zen of fishing. (y)

I've fished alone far more than ever fishing with others. I find it very relaxing and (surprisingly) simultaneously stimulating. It mentally invigorates me, equipping me to tackle tough challenges.

There is a certain clarity to life that comes from fishing alone. During the guiding season I don't get much time to fun fish, when I do I go alone, or with a pretty girl.

Back