ALASKA

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Well this morning I should be standing in line waiting for TSA to get their act together. Molly's recent surgery requires I remain behind until Friday to obtain her health certificate and get the stitches out. The good news is most of the work getting the lodge up and running will be done.
Overall the Forcast suggests we should expect a little better fishing for Reds (sockeyes) and Kings. Silvers should be average.
The snow went off early this year, the river is already at late June flow. This will impact our wading for rainbows on the Naknek, making it a little tougher. However the smaller streams we fly out to will be dropping into great shape.
This is a Pink salmon year in Bristol Bay. They show in late July by the millions. Quite literally they can provide a fish on nearly every cast. We offer special deals to dads bringing their 10 to 16 year olds during the pink runs. It's a long term investment but we create fishermen and women.
We have quite a few kids showing up this year, I really enjoy that.
A couple of times a week, after the guests have all been taken care of, I like to go out for an hour or two. Never seem to have a problem finding a couple of kids to tag along. I don't take the parents. They tie their own knots, pick their own flies or lure and fight the fish on their own. Most love the opportunity to get out and achieve independently.
The only issue has been keeping fish. Typically they limited earlier in the day and they learn how important it is to follow the rules even when no one is watching.
Can't wait.Image1464618591.843918.jpgImage1464618642.920159.jpgImage1464618750.818470.jpgImage1464618823.134939.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trust it will be a banner year on the river. Always a joy for me to see youngsters being introduced to the joys of fishing/hunting/shooting. Great pictures, by the way.

Sure hope that Molly is healing fine. I am sure you will have a great summer on the the river.
Enjoy and be safe.

Blessings,
Dan

Molly will get her stitches out tomorrow. Been weaning her off the pain meds. She is showing a very slight limp.
We will be safe and now that I have this fancy new phone hoping I can get some more pictures to send.Image1464713420.707455.jpg

A 30 and a 35 as I recall. First kings for each of them.

OUTSTANDING!

Thanks so much for sharing the photos. I miss Alaska, whenever I'm not there.

Guy

Unable to down load any photos yet, they'll have to wait. So far the rainbow fishing has been good. Only one so far over 30 has been landed.
No effort on salmon yet though there are a few in the river.
Had our first grizzly visit yesterday about noon. Quit fat for this time of the year.
We killed a porcupine last night under the deck. Double tapped with the 450 bushmaster, he was really dead.
Have a great summer.

Hmm :wink: a 450 on a porcupine SC they just make everything big in Alaska :mrgreen:.
Enjoy your time up there (y).
Also wondering how Molly is coming along?

Blessings,
Dan

I give no quarter to porcupines. The Bushy was by the door. Simple decision.
Molly is miserable. Normally she has run of the camp but she is not allowed out side off leash for at least another month. She appears to be healing well, keeps trying to tell me she can run like the wind.
We have increased her daily walks to a mile, the leg is handling that just fine.
I'll keep you posted, thanks Dan.
Fished one of my favorite spots today, Ugashik Narrows. Arctic Char, grayling and lake trout on dry flies. Other than my client stepping off the planes floats into six feet of water the day was perfect.

Those clear waters are deceptive to the neophyte. :mrgreen: However, a dip in the cold waters of an Alaskan (or British Columbian) stream serves to educate people quickly. (y)

Thankfully it was a warm and sunny day. I always carry an extra set of under armor and socks with me. Despite my best efforts I'll have one or two people a year go swimming.

A number of years ago I guess it would have be 31 years right around now :wink: we were fishing quite aways up in Northern Saskatchewan on a lake called Otter we had stopped for a shore lunch when we heard a loud scream went for a quick run and found my dad waist deep in the lake as he had slipped off a rock while casting.
I wished we would have taken a photo as my Pop passed about a month later :(.
He was a comical man but only stood about 5'4" he was talking in a high C until he warmed up after his little swim :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Water that spends most of the year frozen can get your attention.

Dan, your story reminds me of a group of church members I took fishing up to Chilliwack Lake on one occasion. Chilliwack Lake is glacier fed and somewhat chilly. The beach has signs warning that swimming runs the risk of hypothermia. In any case, a group of us, including two brothers, were fishing at one spot about ten kilometers up the lake. As we were fishing, I heard a rather resounding splash followed by a strangled gasp in a voice I had never heard in that particular group. This was because one of the brothers had managed to slip off the rock on which he had been standing, slipping into the frigid waters. As he attempted to get his breath, I noted that his skin had taken on a rather lovely shade of blue. The other brother, continuing reeling after he had cast, casually asked, "Did you see anything down there?" I can't hear of people slipping into cold water without hearing Don ask, "Did you see anything down there?"

Consequently, I know about the deceptive depth of clear mountain waters because on one occasion I though I just wade across a narrow part of a stream to reach an ideal spot for trout and grayling. Rather than three or four feet of water, the depth was closer to about eight feet. Bobbing up, I gave a couple of kicks to reach the sandy bank. Wish I could say it was the only time I ever made such an error in judgement on a mountain stream. My sole consolation is that I've witnessed many others make the identical misjudgement. Yeah, clear waters are deceptive. :mrgreen:

Back