Salmon fishing pictures for saskboy 2016

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Thought I would share a few pictures of how our salmon fishing has been going so far to get Dan all fired up for when he is here in a few weeks time :)

Maria has caught a little chinook but not much else yet. She has been trying to learn how to catch sockeye which takes a bit to get used to but she has been figuring it out. She hooked 2 last night but lost them so it is a good sign she is figuring it out. She has caught everything else that swims here and soon will be catching her first sockeye.

Once I caught my first sockeye of the year I haven't fished for much else :lol:

That is a great job you and Maria are doing, Gerry. Yeah, the sockeye are great fun.

Man oh man gerry those are great photos (y)!! Remember to leave a few for the flatlander & his wife :mrgreen:.
Seriously, good for both of you, I am glad they are biting.
Looking forward to getting up there :).

Blessings,
Dan

Excellent work; not only are sockeye fine eating they are an outstanding fighting fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan, there will still be lots of fish coming up when you are here. The chinook will almost be done so we won't likely catch any of them but the sockeye and pink's will be going full bore and there should be a few coho showing up. We can go to another river for the big chum salmon as well. I feel confident you will be able to catch a few of the different types of salmon while you are here.

salmonchaser":adnpprme said:
Excellent work; not only are sockeye fine eating they are an outstanding fighting fish.

You have that right they taste great and can be quite scrappy. A couple of those in the pictures really gave a great fight with long runs and and some jumping as well.

Well we were out with gerry last night and we were able to land a few Sockeye :wink:.
The bottom bouncing technique that is used takes some time to master and if not done right you lose your gear on every cast. I have never cast with a bait caster reel so I don't think this old dog is going to be doing much of that.
gerry has mentioned that we may try a different river that you cast a spinning reel and use the spoon type lure. Go figure a pink spoon for Pink salmon.
I will try to get a photo of the big Sockeye that I reeled in last night thanks to gerry :mrgreen: .
We are having a blast both gerry & Maria are fantastic hosts (y).
On Tuesday night we had supper at their beautiful home & had a Blacktail deer roast. Both my wife & I agree that it is by far the best tasting Venison we have ever eaten. We have never eaten venison that was not in rut and man what a difference!!
God is so good (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, save a few salmon just in case I go over in a year or so. :grin: Glad you are seeing how its done. Looking forward to some pictures.

Well gerry and I fished on the Kitimat River today and we caught 2 pinks and 2 chum salmon :mrgreen:.
I could not believe the fight those big chum give you in the fast water (y). I have sore forearms :shock:.
We may be able to sneak out once more before leaving on Monday. Tomorrow we are leaving around 4:00am to go Goat hunting :shock:!!
Man I think I could get used too living in BC :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

A Chum can definitely give you a fight. They are assuredly strong and know how to use the current to their advantage.

Chum, ( dog salmon) and Pinks are great fun to fish for. Chum in particular are great fighters. Pound for pound a favorite of mine. Sounds like a great trip.
Pinks have been a day saver for me many times when silvers are off the bite.
When clients call asking what flies to tie for their trip I tell them none. I tell them to walk the dog every day and to get a four foot rope a chunk of broom stick and a two pound weight. Tie the rope to the broom stick, then the weight, hold at arms length, shoulder high and roll the weight up and down as many times as they can.
Sounds like you found out why, a good problem to have:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to see you got one, Dan. He looks pretty good for having been snagged. :mrgreen:

The Sockeye was fought on the Skeena River & the Pink & Chum (Dog Salmon)was caught on the Kitamat River :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back