Small Mouth Bass

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
My 16 year old grandson has gotten the fishing bug this summer and every week end and a few times threw the week he has asked me to take him fishing so I have been visiting old fishing grounds I haven't fished in years and since I broke my ankle it has been trying wading in waste deep water slipping and sliding over rocks and gravel bars.
Here's a few pictures from yesterdays excursion.
We normally practice catch and release but my grandson has never eaten Bass before and wanted to try some so these will make a good meal.

Attachments

• KIMG0250(2).jpeg
    KIMG0250(2).jpeg
    377.8 KB · Views: 3,571
  • KIMG0248(1).jpeg
    KIMG0248(1).jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 3,571
  • KIMG0246(1).jpeg
    KIMG0246(1).jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 3,571
As fine a game fish as one could ever tackle, Rodger. I would occasionally get into smallmouth when I lived in the Lower Mainland. They are in some Vancouver Island lakes and in a few lakes in the southeastern part of the Province. Other than that, it has been since I lived in KS many years ago. I've contended with a few friends that if they tackle some smallies, they'll throw rocks at steelhead.

Pound for pound they really give you a fight on light tackle though I've never fished for Steel head a 1-2lb Small Mouth will bust your knuckles with ultra light equipment and feel like it's a 10 pounder and oh my if your lucky enough to hook a 5 pounder you better hold on. In a boat you have a chance on landing it but wading as I was yesterday you almost have to follow it like a large trout or salmon on a light fly rod.
When I used to fish the lower Potomac river my wife hooked and landed a 5lb Small Mouth under the 14th street bridge on the Va side across from DC.

I used a lot of ultralight tackle (maximum of 4# test and a lot of 2# test) when fishing for smallies, Rodger. Consequently, I used light tackle to take steelies. My largest steelhead was a twenty-eight pounder taken on three pound test Maxima. I've brought many steelies to hand using 4# test, and I will still give the battle to smallies. Rich memories from my childhood.

I use a lot of 4# test ,6# and 8#depending on the water conditions. Fast heavy currents and big rocks I tend to use heavier line so I can turn them when they make a run for the rocks in fast current lines that don't stretch a lot makes it easier to set the hook. There is some class 3 white water on the upper Potomac where I like to fish. I even have 20# braid on one reel I use for bumping the bottom with tube baits which you need the zero stretch to feel them pick it up and swim off with it and set the hook or you would miss the majority of the strikes. I also use 14# line on my bait caster reels because it is just plain hard to throw a crank bait with one of these with light line since you get a lot of spool over runs and back lashes which are a pain to pick out.
Graphite rods are the craze and you have a hard time finding decent glass rods like I like to use. I am still using glass rods I bought back in the 1980s before graphite became popular. I have Fenwick glass rods and one of my favorite is a custom hand laid Cotton Cordel 5'6" light action with a Shamono Sedona 1500 ultra light reel. I have wore out my Diawa gold seires reels and replacing them with Shamono's as they break since I can't get parts for them. Fun thing is the internals are still good and it's the levers that are breaking off from use and can't be replaced unless you can find a junker for parts.

I thought I would post another picture from our latest outing Sunday mourning.

Attachments

• KIMG0254(1)-1.jpeg
    KIMG0254(1)-1.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 3,527
There is some fine eating on the end of that stringer. A fine representative of the species, Rodger.

Those are some nice look small mouth bass. Looks like you have a nice little honey hole for those bass. Well done Roger and congratulations to you and your grandson.

JD338

Thanks for the comments everyone.
The grandson is into soccer and lacrosse which has gotten in the way of his education in the finer arts of hunting and fishing but is now old enough to realize there is other things to do that are more rewarding then team sports.
I have tried numerous times to get him out but this summer he came looking for me.
I have worked with him for about 2 months on reading the water and how to cast into tight spaces and under trees into shady deep holes where the bass chill out in the heat of the summer and he has been a good pupil and has learned quickly.
As far as the honey hole we have covered about 5 miles of river to catch those 4 keepers but have caught numerous under size fish on our outings.

IMG_20160720_095305272.jpgSome great fish there! Bass are always fun to catch or eat! Here is one from Northern Maine. (y)

35 Whelen":17wh26rj said:
Some great fish there! Bass are always fun to catch or eat! Here is one from Northern Maine. (y)
Thanks for sharing the picture. Spring and fall are my favorite times of the year to fish for small mouths. I have fished in a private lake out side of Scarborough Maine but never had any luck catching one. Some day I would like to hunt moose or black bear in Maine but don't know any outfitters.

I'm new to the forum so I'm trying to read through many of the topics...this old one begged me to resuscitate it.

I love smallmouth fishing as much and probably more than hunting and shooting. So if anyone wants to chat smallies I would be all in.

Awesome that you are teaching him how to stream/river smallmouth. I thank my father for carrying me on his shoulders as a small, small guy while he was wade fishing. Mom would get so mad. Learned how to swim and fish on those trips.

I take a multi-day float/wade trip every summer for smallmouth. I love chasing river brown bass.

024be168a26904f4e91b6ad210d9763d.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The John Day river in Easter Oregon has tremendous small mouth bass fishing. Time it with grass hoppers and 100 fish days are common.

The picture above is on my hike down to the Big South Fork located in KY and TN.

Love them smallies!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 2,652
  • IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,652
  • IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    758 KB · Views: 2,652