Grayling Love...

Excellent description of a beautiful and delightful piscatorial adversary. I recall a day on a local stream with a budding author commissioned to write an article on fishing for grayling. He had asked me if I had ever fished for graying. I had answered his query by stating that I had never fished for grayling. If I'm lying, I'm dying. I had two pound test on a spinning reel with a 1/16 oz. rooster tail tied on. Eight fish brought to hand on ten casts. The piscatorial expert was somewhat put out as he exclaimed, "I thought you said you never fished for grayling." "I had never fished for grayling; I didn't say I didn't know how to fish for grayling." Still a wonderful fish that can save the day. Plus, they are a delight to eat. Great article, Hodgeman.

Good story Mike,
They are the "dry fly" enthusiasts dream fish. Though their feeding habits couldnt be more different , with the exception of the "sailfish" sized dorsal fin; they taste exactly like a whitefish to me ! Super addition to the Northcountry great fishing.

Great article!

We have a mixed family.

A fisherman who won't quit because of the one more cast holding the promise of a fish of a lifetime.

The other is all about non stop action. She's all about catching!

If I'm going catching, she's in. Will have wo work artic grayling into a trip someday.

Hodgeman, thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up on an overlooked fish. When the salmon are spawning it's pretty tough to get the rainbows, char or grayling to hit anything that doesn't look like a salmon egg. Dry fly action gets real tough. Sometimes people get board catching fish off the bottom and want to try drys. Grayling will often take a caddis on such a day. Love grayling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have actually fished for Greyling twice in my life :wink: they were a hoot but we did not eat them as we were on a catch & release River in northern Saskatchewan.

Blessings,
Dan

Back