pike pike pike

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Wife and I had an amazing opening weekend in Northern MN. Tried out some new water close to the hunting cabin. Reservoir for one of the mines. About 8000 acres of islands, points, channels, weedbeds and some sunken timber. Totally undeveloped shoreline, beautiful to look at and beautiful pike habitat. Didn't catch any trophies, but spent Sat and Sun boating healthy 3-8 pound fish. One after another, a real hoot. Wasn't sure how stumpy it would be, so we were using the old rusty baits. Red Eyes and Williams Wablers will still hook plenty of pike!

Pike from cold waters is as fine a fish as one could ever eat. Sounds like a great time looking for slough sharks.

We get a surprising interest in pike. We've had days with 80,000 sockeye salmon swimming by the lodge and guys will ask about pike. We catch a few, typically later in the summer fishing for silvers.
Congratulations on your day, any fishing like that is a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on eating them. Walleye are "king" here in MN, but in my book nothing beats pike filets properly handled with the possible exception of perch. After removing the Y bones, I usually keep the smaller cuts for frying baking with dill and bread or fiskesuppe, and the larger cuts from 4+pound pike for the grill. Grills up with the texture of halibut steaks and a good hearty flavor. Takes smoke, glaze and oil well. I prefer a small amount of maple syrup, balsamic and a mild Bavarian rub for them with juniper, horseradish powder, onion powder, black pepper, ground celery seed and sage.

Have had pike from farther north in B.C. where the water eventually heads to the arctic. We have caught them while moose hunting trip and they tasted quite good. When I go to see my family in Manitoba we catch perch and walleye which are some of the best eating fish that I have had, they don't usually keep pike there but are still fun to catch.

Pike rule! Caught a 30 pounder a week ago, and huge fillets. Went on Tuesday again and got another 18 # one. Love them in the spring and through the ice.

Back