Columbia River Sturgeon

lefty315

Handloader
Sep 29, 2004
I can't hardly describe how epic the sturgeon fishing was on Wednesday in the Columbia river. I caught 21, landing 18, having 3 get off after fighting them for a bit. One ended up breaking the hook after about a 10 minute battle. Two fish went over 7 feet, with many more in the 6 foot range. There were a total of 3 fisherman on board that day and we accounted for over 50 caught. Bill, a retired school teacher and my daughters old basketball coach, tapped out with about an hour left on our trip.

Unfortunately we can't keep any in that stretch of the Columbia right now but still a great time. All I can say is epic...

Attachments

• IMG_1170.JPG
    IMG_1170.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,710
I watched the show river monsters and saw the sturgeon. What a huge fish! Can't imagine fighting one. Seems like an awesome trip for you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sea lions didn't bother us but Tom, the 3rd guy, caught a big one that had a chunk taken out of it's back. We assumed it was from a sea lion.

One of the bigger ones took me 40 minutes to get it to the boat where we could release it. I couldn't tell you how many times we had a double going and we had at least 4 triples. Miraculously we only got tangled up twice and they were easy to undo.

That is a great day. I can remember fishing for sturgeon on the Fraser. It was always a hoot. Good company and sterling fishing makes for a memorable day.

That would qualify for using the term catch vs fishing. You boys were definitely catching!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a fantastic trip. Some really nice fish caught and released. Were you in the lower part of the river below Portland

Back