Smoked canned salmon recipe

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I see Hodgeman has a thread on his recipe but I thought I would post up mine. I believe this would work for almost any type of fish fresh or saltwater.

I like a 2 to one ratio of maple syrup and coarse salt, in this batch I just made I used:

About 15 lbs coho and chum salmon
2 cups maple syrup
1 cup coarse salt

I combine it all and leave it in the brine for at least 48 hours stirring the fillets several times a day. By the second day the coarse salt is dissolved.

I fire up the smoker and pull the fillets out of the brine and rinse them off under the tap and place it on tin foil on the rack for the smoker.

I give it around 1.5 hours of smoke, about 1 hour of that it smokes quite heavily. This last batch I used Hickory which was quite nice.

The fish is still totally raw when you pull it out of the smoker, I process it just like regular canned salmon at 10 lbs pressure for 90 minutes of time.

Just had some for lunch today and it turned out well. You can vary the flavour with changes to the brine and type of wood used for smoking, I'm pretty happy with this recipe now but others might like something a bit different. I hope some of you decide to give it a try, some of the larger fish that you guys catch out on the ocean off the south east coast of the U.S. and other places might do well smoked and canned.

Sorry that I got to this a little late but I just want to confirm gerry's abilities in canning fish as well as BBQing Blacktail deer :mrgreen:.
They are truly very tasty (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back