Finally bought a boat...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
I've wanted one for years, finally did it... I bought it from my Dad.

16' wide body MonArk jon boat with a 25hp Johnson motor, it is a 1986 model that has been exceptionally well kept and used very little... Over 30 years old and its only been in the water about 50 times, lol.... And then only for short trips, Dad says he bets it hasn't had 5 tanks of gas run through it.

He does start it in a barrel a few times every year though.

I've decided to get back to fishing after a long break... Hoping to get a little fancier boat in a couple of years... Something with some storage and a steering wheel.

My two favorite types of fishing is bluegill and BIG catfish (using the bluegill for bait, it is legal here)

I also enjoy smallmouth bass and trout fishing.

All that aren't bait are catch and release except the trout... Trout is the only fish I like to eat, and then only when its cooked over a camp fire.

Sounds like you have some fun times coming! You didn’t mention electronics... does it have one of the bottom mapping sonars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are good boats, actually see quite a few in Alaska. Pretty good at running real shallow water. Have fun with those big cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's nice to have a boat to fish out of. I have a Humminbird 899ci HD Sonar / GPS with Side Imaging. It's connected with my Minn Kota 24 volt trolling motor like a smart phone, and you can track your old tracking at any trolling motor speeds while you fish. It also has that IAnchor feature that the trolling motor runs automatically via GPS and keeps your boat within 3 yards of your spot where you locked the coordinates. I used it offshore without an anchor to fish the reefs for red snapper while other boats have a hard time using big anchors to anchor their boats. LOL. But rarely use the side imaging, but its a cool gadget. I normally trade in my boat every 5 to 9 years because problems starts to arise especially fishing salt water. Currently I have a Dargel Skooter 20 footer flush deck with a 175 ETEC with a 4 blade prop to get it up in 8 to 10 inches of water and runs in about 4 inches on plane. What I like about it is the skeg and propeller is flush with the bottom of the boat and rarely tears up grass.

There are many depthfinders, but Humminbird is the only one I have been using in all my boats. Lowrance makes great gadgets as well.

You might just half to take up Duck Hunting now. I have a Jon Boat since I’ve been 16 years old and don’t see living with out one. I run a Lowe 1648 with a 30hp Johnson. I fish with it and Duck and Goose hunt out of it.
We keep talking about taking it to Montana up in the Breaks area just have not made that trip yet, for Mule Deer. Good Fishing.

Back