Concealed carry while fishing...

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
What are your preferred holster types for this? Specifically for protection from 2 legged predators... I'm not too worried about grizzlies here in Tennessee so it'll just be for my Glock 32... If I ever make it to Alaska for salmon I have the G40 and the Diamond D chest holster, but I don't really wanna use a chest holster fishing for bluegill.

I generally prefer leather holsters, but for fishing kydex might be better, or plastic (can't believe I just typed that out loud).

I have come to realize that I like crossdraw for when I'm doing stuff that requires me to carry stuff (weedeating fence rows for example)... Seems to help to have the gun on my left side. Thought that might be better for fishing too.

Thoughts?

Well I guess if I wasn't wearing waders, I would carry as I normally do.
I haven't tried one yet, but maybe one of those belly band set ups. I do like kydex, impervious and provide good retention.
Almost 40 years ago I lost a Colt Diamond Back out of a cheap leather bucket holster while fishing. I was very good about checking the hammer strap; As a rookie cop at the academy I bailed out of a patrol car during a training drill. Seat belt grabbed the butt of my Sig and sent it clattering across the pavement.
I always think about adequate retention/accessibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While wearing waders I'll use a shoulder holster for my model 60. If I were more worried about bigger critters I might explore some of the chest holsters. My buddy has one made out of some nylon material, I think out of Alaska, that he really likes for hiking and fishing.

IMG_2465.JPGIMG_2432.JPG

Interesting comment on the cross draw while working. I have, over the years modified how I use my diamond D rig so it's out of my way but right where I need it.

I have a holster that I got with my G32 for a knockaround holster...I forget the brand but it can be carried 3 ways... Strong side, crossdraw, and small of back.

It's a well made holster with good retention, but its leather... That's how I found I really like crossdraw.

Those Diamond D chest rigs are so infinitely adjustable... I really like mine for the big G40....I also have it adjusted a bit to the left side, but not quite as much as yours.

Shoulder holsters are an option I'm looking at, but I'm not limited to those just yet....

They do offer some concealment, they get the gun up high (for wading) and there are options with straps for retention.

I used to never even think about carrying while fishing but times have changed....

I typically wet wade and carry a backpack. It has a side compartment that can be accessed in a reasonably short amount of time. If I have the canoe, it stays in a little dry box.

Not lightning fast accessible but gives me a piece of mind while on the river.

Back