Small River Float Trips

icallitmaize

Beginner
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite things to do in our great outdoors is a multi-day float trip for Smallmouth.

I want to do the New River in West Virginia at some point.

db282d60b9a8428f03c0622c6b738e85.jpg
0e97ea3a4e2d93633d68aaa6ab33f226.jpg
8940b69c2593a0b1cee9803f55fe437b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks beautiful. I have some great water to do this in MN and WI, but work always seems to get in the way.

When I was a young Marine 3 of my buddies and I did a few days down the Monacacy,if that's how it's spelled, in Maryland. Had a great trip!

lefty315":1r4swgea said:
When I was a young Marine 3 of my buddies and I did a few days down the Monacacy,if that's how it's spelled, in Maryland. Had a great trip!
Yep that's how you spell it and it is still a nice river to float but is fished heavily.
The Potomac is also a nice river to float but you will need to deal with class 3 white water in spots. From what I have read the New River can be rather wild and don't know if I would want to do a float trip with out a good river guide who knows it.

We used to nail some bass pretty easily on the river. Funny thing, we never saw another person the entire time we were on it, but that was almost 30 years ago.

The river is crowded now with young float fisherman who have no respect for others rights and will float right threw the hole your fishing in. My grandson and I wade the river when it warms up enough and that's when the fun starts.
30yrs ago if you saw someone with a boat of any type it was an oddity.
it will still produce some nice fish if you know where to look.
Here's a picture of a nice large mouth my grandson caught last year.

Attachments

• KIMG0254(2).jpeg
    KIMG0254(2).jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 1,591
When I was considerably younger I was fortunate enough to do a number of canoe trips up in northern Saskatchewan. We did the Churchill river numerous times and always were able to catch Walleye for lunch and supper every day of the trip :wink:.
I also fished in Wollaston Lake which is world famous for big northerns and lake trout.
This is not a fish story really.
One evening we were fishing in a large bay and I was using a mid priced Shimano closed faced reel. I was able to catch and release so many big pike that I couldn't give you a number :mrgreen: but just as we were about to call it a night I latched on to a 42" brute and she did three runs after the third I went to start reeling her in again and there was nothing I turned the handle so I opened up the reel and the teeth on the gears were worn off :shock:. Scouts Honour (y)
PS. We were using large streamer spinners as a lure.

Blessings,
Dan

Back