Big River Browns

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
A couple weeks ago, I couldn't take it anymore and had to get out to do some fishing. Also had a new 6'0" Fenwick light action rod I bought with Christmas money that I wanted to try out. I drove about 10 miles west of town to the Flathead River and parked my 4Runner where I could see it since there are a lot of meth heads that frequent the area. I got geared up and scrambled down the rocks to the bank.

The first few holes and eddies I fished yielded no luck. I had gone down stream about 1/4 of a mile and started fishing a big eddy with a size 6 Rapala X-Rap in the Hot Steel color. After a few casts, I made a jerk-jerk-pause and counted to 10 like usual and on the next jerk I thought I had counted a little too slowly and had hung up on a rock. Then my line started moving towards the current! A couple seconds later a nice size Brown Trout was tail-walking and jumping all over. I finally composed myself and got the fish to the bank. After a couple quick pictures and measurement, I released a beautiful 20" Brown back to where it came from.

The next Brown came from the same eddy but wasn't as exciting. This one came on a steady retrieve and didn't fight as hard. Caught on the same X-Rap and measured out at 19"

I went back a week later and the weather had warmed up considerably so the snow started melting off and the water had risen a foot or so and was dirty. Fished the same holes and never got a bite.
3d1a2c91a20827b1e84ae9b3443f6c5e.jpg
f5774e2925a02ce4e8e918bd8273bf05.jpg
9f2261801f9de52408c2280ddf8dfd14.jpg
0e2587b917edcdb1d626e7ae491c8370.jpg
a08b9dbeeeb2b3a5cc91d56ebbb1162e.jpg
6168ae51b9d82bc0965f8828124c21d0.jpg
98817d59c5ecd95f9f8d2048b9349ab1.jpg
b7eedeab517b718f4a6dfccd641e5a12.jpg

Great looking fish. Looks as if you had some genuine success. I've never caught a brown, but I certainly have taken my share of rainbow, steelhead and brookies on ultralight gear. Man, that makes me want to get this leg healed so that I'll be able to get out on the streams again.

DrMike":g5liwnfd said:
Great looking fish. Looks as if you had some genuine success. I've never caught a brown, but I certainly have taken my share of rainbow, steelhead and brookies on ultralight gear. Man, that makes me want to get this leg healed so that I'll be able to get out on the streams again.
Thanks! They were the biggest Browns I have caught in a long time by far. Usually I'm just catching little 6-10" creek trout. There isn't much that is more fun than ultralight fishing.
salmonchaser":g5liwnfd said:
Good fish, good way to beat cabin fever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I agree but now cabin fever is at an all time high. We had temps in the mid 50s and this week we have been back below zero. I couldn't be more ready for spring and summer.

Very nice fish. I want to eat it. Now I’m salivating.... I just spooled a new reel two nights ago...maybe time to hit the river... we’re muddy right now and highwater... should be fishable by Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful fish glad you made it out. Winter is dragging on this year and I can't wait to get out again. Enjoy seeing your threads as the are always interesting.

gerry":17taxzci said:
Beautiful fish glad you made it out. Winter is dragging on this year and I can't wait to get out again. Enjoy seeing your threads as the are always interesting.
I appreciate it! I can't wait until the lakes thaw so I can go after some largemouth!

Beautiful! That picture with the lure and the fish is an excellent picture. Browns were always my favorite, with brookies a close second.

Very nice highly colored beauty! We used to take some nice ones in NZ years ago here is a few that cracked double figures all taken on Dry Flys!IMG_2438.JPGIMG_2439.JPGIMG_2440.JPG
Of course we got some decent Rainbows too!IMG_2437.JPG

Back