Alaska 2018

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
We loaded the container yesterday, with room for a couple more boxes we just couldn't come up with any "needs" for the upcoming season.
The forecast for Sockeye, the state doesn't conduct any research on the other species on our river, is good. 16 million Sockeye are expected to return to the Naknek district.
The really good news, our kings have been improving. Four years ago was the best return we had seen in 10 years, we'll be seeing the off spring of those fish this year we hope.
We will be busy, only one of our three guest cabins has five nights open, booked solid until September 20.
I decided not to go up to help Phil with Bear Camp. At 62 I'm starting to slow down maybe a little, four months will be enough.IMG_2093.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's pulling for you to have a successful season. Look forward to seeing your reports.

Excellent. Always admire the people that make it a point to learn about, and work at utilizing the cycle of life the way God and nature intended. So what is the best tasting wild salmon?

Gee Salmonchaser it took rotator cuff surgery, a broken ankle and knee surgery before I figured out I should slow down now that I'm 68. If I would loose 100lbs that thought might change again. :)>)

ShadeTree":2ftu5ruc said:
Excellent. Always admire the people that make it a point to learn about, and work at utilizing the cycle of life the way God and nature intended. So what is the best tasting wild salmon?
The impact on the environment of all those spawning salmon is not recognized by most people. We spend quite a bit of time educating people.
I always try to get folks to release the monster kings, explaining what has occurred on the Kenai, most don't have a problem with that.
As to taste. I've never seen it go to fisticuffs but kings and Sockeye get the most votes. For my money Sockeye are the best.

Wow, your shipping container is neatly stuffed to prevent shifting, and maximum capacity! Looks like you'll have a great season taking care of your guests, and the life that brings you each year.

May it bring you great satisfaction with little downtime from the unexpected and maximum joy..... and above all your safety each and every day.

longrangehunter":1z6ilj2j said:
Wow, your shipping container is neatly stuffed to prevent shifting, and maximum capacity! Looks like you'll have a great season taking care of your guests, and the life that brings you each year.

May it bring you great satisfaction with little downtime from the unexpected and maximum joy..... and above all your safety each and every day.
Thankyou, safety is paramount. Logistics skill is the most important skill and serves to minimize the impact of the unexpected.
The most dangerous location is the dock, for many reasons. We consistently coach our guests to slow down be careful on the dock.

ShadeTree":2hmk53ja said:

Reds...aka Sockeyes.

Kings are good, but for my money reds are the best eating salmonid out there.

I haven't killed a king for myself in years but I take 25 Reds a year to bring home. Vacuum sealed and flash frozen I eat one fillet a week.
As good as the flash frozen are nothing beats catching one minutes before dinner and slapping it on the BBQ right then.

I too vacuum pack my salmon. Typically King’s transplanted to Lake Michigan. The Vacuum packers help the salmon make it from the water to my freezer to my table... works for trout too.

The idea to transplant Northwest steelhead and kings to Lake Michigan was hatched at our Kitchen table when I was a kid. Dad was the director of the EPA Marine and Freshwater Division, wrote the final approval on the science conducted.
Says the project would never get started today.
He was always very proud of that project and others designed to clean up the Great Lakes.
Ultimately he became very disenchanted with the EPA as it transitioned from a scientific organization to a political organization went to Arizona State University as Associate Dean of Environmental research.
He loved to fish off the Oregon coast thought the only thing wrong with the Great Lakes Salmon project were no Grey whales to go with them.
He would be very pleased to know you're still catching them.

salmonchaser":1idtpmjk said:
The idea to transplant Northwest steelhead and kings to Lake Michigan was hatched at our Kitchen table when I was a kid. Dad was the director of the EPA Marine and Freshwater Division, wrote the final approval on the science conducted.
He was always very proud of that project and others designed to clean up the Great Lakes.
Ultimately he became very disenchanted with the EPA as it transitioned from a scientific organization to a political organization went to Arizona State University as Associate Dean of Environmental research.
He loved to fish off the Oregon coast thought the only thing wrong with the Great Lakes Salmon project were no Grey whales to go with them.

Thank You Salmonchaser’s Dad.

hseII":1xndj81q said:
salmonchaser":1xndj81q said:

Ditto!

I have a friend who retired and then ran Salmon charters for 21 years. Retired from charter fishing last spring. He still gets out a lot!

My best King was 35# off the back of a sail boat dragging a hot & tot on a steel line.. was that a fun catch! The sucker took me all the way around a 38’ sailboat. I was so nervous passing the rod around the guy wires. Was a good 20 minute fight. Tell your dad about that one!

mjcmichigan":8ucy9jrk said:
hseII":8ucy9jrk said:
salmonchaser":8ucy9jrk said:

Ditto!

I have a friend who retired and then ran Salmon charters for 21 years. Retired from charter fishing last spring. He still gets out a lot!

My best King was 35# off the back of a sail boat dragging a hot & tot on a steel line.. was that a fun catch! The sucker took me all the way around a 38’ sailboat. I was so nervous passing the rod around the guy wires. Was a good 20 minute fight. Tell your dad about that one!

I will!

Finally arrived late Friday afternoon. My 11/2 hour layover in Anchorage got turned into an 8 hour layover by WHEN AIR, (Penn Air). Three years in a row, love those guys.
Been pulling maintenance duty, so far nothing to serious. We're going to splash some boats tomorrow at high tide. The river is still low, but coming up a little every day. There is still a lot of snow in the mountains, probably be a bit of a high water year.
We are booked solid until mid September, added a guide to our staff. Still won't be any days off.
No bears so far, they usually don't get into this area for a few weeks.

Well I for one can’t wait until your first adventure comes onto our forum :wink:. The stories & photos are always great (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Well rainbow fishing has been good but not fantastic yet. We've several at 28 inches but none over thirty.
We've killed a couple of porcupines, no dogs were stuck, seen a couple of wolves and two bears so far. IMG_2212.JPG
This one was just leaving the runway at the King Salmon airport. Damn near ran over him.
The days are getting long, sunset at 2330 a couple days agoIMG_2211.JPG
Our apprentice guide is learning to be be a good soldier, sleep when you can. He's been here 5 days, fell asleep at dinner, has decided it's much tougher work then he imagined IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2242.JPGIMG_2248.JPG
Molly found a porcupine on our morning walk. With no vets out here it's a pretty rough experience for all of us, but we got them out.
The porcupine caught a 400 grain Barnes Buster through the ribs. I would guess the bullet held together.
Another adventure in a guides life.

Hopefully she has learned not to mess with them any more. I’m glad you got her all fixed up. There seems to be a lot of porcupines this year.

Back