Fishing Kayak

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Since ol' Clark the bird dog died, and there's not likely to be another bird dog in my life, I'm afraid my bird hunting is going to be seriously limited. Have a few friends with bird dogs, and I used to hunt birds without a dog too. But... I think it's going to be mostly a thing of the past.

However... have been selling a few guns, things I seldom use and won't miss. That's left me with some discretionary cash. :grin: I haven't been doing much fly fishing in recent years, but not because I don't want to. My old float tube pretty well fell apart after nearly 25 years. And the rowboat is very difficult to carry with my Jeep... Sold my old Coleman canoe a few years ago. The fellow down the street is using it to take his kids fishing, just like I did with my kiddos 20 years ago. I love it when they drive by with that faded old canoe atop his truck. The kids always wave and smile. I'm glad that canoe is doing what it's supposed to do!

But... I've always liked kayaks. Never had one. I've spent a bit of time with various kayaks and have become aware of "fishing kayaks" - they tend to be wider, more stable than the faster, more narrow kayaks. So, I up and ordered myself a kayak! :) It should be at the local Sportsman's Warehouse on Thursday, and I figure to get it wet Thursday or Friday.

Am getting a Perception, Pescador 12. It's 12' long, about 65 pounds, and intended for fishing. I suspect that I'll be using it for wildlife photography an awful lot too. And just for paddling. Maybe even for some hunting! :)

https://www.perceptionkayaks.com/us/kayaks/pescador-12

The Columbia River is just over a mile from my home, with some good put-in places. The Wenatchee River empties into the Columbia only a few miles north of my home. Where they meet is an interesting place with sand bars, back bays, cool places. That's where I've been getting the eagle photos, and it looks like it could be good fishing if a fellow had a small boat...

There are also a lot of small lakes & ponds in the area. And some bigger lakes not far off, with vast shallow areas. I've hit the edges of a lot of these areas in the past. Well, the kayak should put me right there!

Very much looking forward to using this new toy. Fishing. Photography. Fitness/paddling. And maybe even some hunting.

Anyone here use a kayak? Please talk to me about 'em.

Regards, Guy

I love my kayaks! I've had several in years past, but last year my wife and I bought a couple of the Jackson fishing kayaks (Big Rig and a Mayfly).

Couldn't be happier- excellent to fish from and I use them to access marsh for waterfowl where the big boats can't go. I've even used one for caribou hunting where I can access a lake chain connected by very shallow riffles and it simply extends my reach. One of my favorite purchases!

I've read that those Jackson kayaks are the best for fishing!

lKMfAYHl.jpg

CnM9WwJl.jpg

hsEWwLTl.jpg

I didn't fish today, just took the kayak up to a small local lake and paddled around for a while. It felt real good. :)

Guy

You'll enjoy it Guy. My grandson and I have NuCanoe Flint models we use here on the Greenbrier and New Rivers to fish from. Lot of fun. Dan.

I have indeed, enjoyed it tremendously! :grin:

Since that first short trip to the lake, I've taken it to the Columbia River twice, once for about 5 miles, and once for about 7.6 miles. Also took it up into the much smaller Wenatchee River on those trips.

My confidence has risen dramatically, but dang, do I respect the power of the current! I'd only been on the Columbia in a powerful boat before. Whole different ballgame with a small, man-powered craft.

Found where I can get out of the main current, and poke along in areas that are chock full of birds & wildlife. Exactly my intent!

ckw1ai1h.jpg

EnagHVmh.jpg

LSMp2FSh.jpg

COmN76yh.jpg

T9rKMAAh.jpg

Vn9scQph.jpg

So now my outings have a new component, the kayak. I'm hiking, cycling, and kayaking. So doggone much fun, and helping me stay reasonably fit as well. Love it! One of these days I'll get around to bringing a fishing pole with me...

Guy

I did some kayaking in my life, and enjoyed it through and through! Now, do you guys happen to know if there are good suppliers in Southern Europe? I mean, I'm planning to buy a villa in Montenegro for the holidays (my family moved from there to the US in the 90s, I was just a teenager back then and like living in the USA but still miss the sea and mountains from back home) and there are killer mountain streams and lakes to fish in.

I have no idea, but I'd enjoy seeing some of your photos of Montenegro!

Guy

I'll make sure to post a couple! I'm going there in early October (it's still warm there!) and will see if I can rent a kayak and do some pictures, and if I can't, it'll wait until I buy both the house and the kayak myself!

While I'm somewhat envious that you have access to the places you do in nature, I am glad for you on your new opportunities. Keep the pics coming, and hopefully, you'll have some fish in them soon!

Back