6mm ARC by Hornady

3 Meter Para Bellum

Handloader
Apr 17, 2020
This looks kind of interesting, the 6mm ARC by Hornady https://www.hornady.com/6mmARC#!/. It is designed to fit in an AR-15 platform while providing performance that could allow it to be a contender for bolt actions as well. It essentially seems to be a 6mm Creedmoor in a shorter cartridge.

In general it seems to outperform many of the larger caliber non-AR-10 rounds such as the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC, which means it might be a great thing for ARs if it catches on, but I don't think it would be very tempting to put in a bolt gun unless it got really popular.

While it is a neat round it falls short of the 6mm creedmoor by about 300 fps. So not really the same ballpark

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have a couple rifles in 6mmAR(aka 6mm Grendel) and find the tweaking of the case design to create a "new" cartridge amusing. I think they just wanted to claim something as their own, rather than offer a tangible improvement. That said, it's a much better choice than the 6.8SPC for the AR platform, even though magazine capacity is reduced.

Johnly":inhf5ir7 said:
I have a couple rifles in 6mmAR(aka 6mm Grendel) and find the tweaking of the case design to create a "new" cartridge amusing. I think they just wanted to claim something as their own, rather than offer a tangible improvement. That said, it's a much better choice than the 6.8SPC for the AR platform, even though magazine capacity is reduced.

Hmm, interesting. What is the problem with the 6.8 SPCs? Is it the magazine reliability? I have heard that can be an issue. Do you have an AR chambered for the Grendel that works well? I have always been interested in putting a larger round in an AR but it seems they tend to have issues from what I've heard, usually some kind of reliability concern. I'm always wondering if there is something good out there.

Have an ARs in 223, 224 Valkyrie, 6mm AR, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC, 30 RAR, 7.62x39, 350 Legend, & 458 SOCOM. My 6.5G AR delivers better accuracy than my factory CZ527 bolt gun and runs flawlessly. I really wanted my 6.8SPC to perform with the Barnes 95 gr. TTSX pushed by AA2200, functioning is spotty although the accuracy is quite good. It runs fine on the Hornady V-max factory ammo, so all is not lost. In the contest between the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel, the 6.8SPC was selected. Upon reflection the wrong cartridge was selected in my opinion. Rather than admitting the mistake of the choosing the 6.8 SPC and loop back to the 6.5 Grendel, a new cartridge was developed that being the 6mm ARC. Without a doubt it is a better choice than the 6.8SPC, but I think downrange performance favors the 6.5 Grendel compared to the 6mm ARC.

Back