Sidearm Advice

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
Hi folks, I am in market for a sidearm and have focused my search to glock and possibly springfield xd. The purpose of the pistol will be mostly a sidearm to carry while archery hunting for the possibility of wolves and mountain lion - I'll still carry bear mace for griz. It would also serve dual purpose as home protection and to pack when camping and backpacking. I am liking the idea of a 10mm but am open to other calibers. I am new to pistols but I would like to reload for it. I'm a bit concerned on what I have read about reloading for glock - it seems you may need a replacement barrel due to case expansion? Anyways - what would you recommend? What a 40 S&W fit the bill? There's a good deal on springfield XD compact right now locally. Any personal experiences with these calibers and platforms? How about the glock 29? I figured this would be a good place to get some good advice, even though this particular forum (Glock) doesn't get alot of traffic.

I am not a Glock man so I can't help there.
The 10mm is a powerful round and would serve you well.
I am a fan of the 45 ACP. Loaded with 230 gr JHP's, it is a stopper and would work well on wolves and mt. lion.

JD338

I've owned a Glock 23 ( .40 cal) for many years and for the same basic requirements you describe. It is a great choice.

However, I would definitely recommend going to a range and shooting any gun you may be considering, prior to buying. My 23 is fine for me, but many people new to handguns find the recoil excessive. A 10mm is even more so. Beyond that, fit and feel are top priorities.

I would stick with the 10mm if you will be in Grizzly country. 200 FPS difference between the 40 S&W and the 10mm. 230gr hardcast out of the 10mm over 1100 FPS, should get the attention of anything.

Glock 20 with Lonewolf 6.6" thread barrel
1311079372.jpg

I have a Springfield Armory XD-40 .40 S&W 4" and a sub-compact XD-40 .40 S&W and love them both. Recoil is not a problem in either one and I feel both are pretty good stoppers. No matter what pistol you decide on, it is a pistol and not a rifle and compared to virtually any rifle caliber it will pale in comparison as far as knockdown, but it's a heck of a lot better than nothing. I would try and find friends or folks who have a Glock, S-A, and maybe a few others and see what feels right for you after shooting some of these. Good luck.
David

6mm do you handload for your 40s? Is the 4" the "service model"? Which one do you like better?

bob_dobalina":byq8vs3h said:
6mm do you handload for your 40s? Is the 4" the "service model"? Which one do you like better?

I don't handload for it although I should. The 4" is the service model. I really like them both, but if I have one that I really wanted for just a carry piece to be worn every day, which is what I do, I prefer the sub-compact. I have pretty large hands and with the sub-compact I get two fingers on the grip and my little one is below it, but I am able to grip the gun and have complete control. It also comes with an extension grip that holds a round or two more and I get a complete grip with it with all three fingers. It's easier to conceal with the standard magazine in the sub-compact though and does not show through clothing as easily. Unless I am wearing shorts, I prefer to carry it on an ankle holster which works very well and I have not had any issues with carrying it that way. The gun probably gets dirty quicker, but I wipe it down and clean it frequently.

Both the sub-compact and the service model have the two dot night sights. One sits on top of the other. That seems to work pretty well. I really like them both, but to be honest, I shoot the sub-compact better than the 4" service model, even if I'm shooting with the short magazine/grip. :shock: One handed with either pistol is no problem either. There is enough to hang on to that I don't feel like I'm going to lose the darn thing. Hope this helps.
David

Back