Glock 30 review and custom beavertail

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Well back in January I aquired a G30 as a possible new CCW pistol. I carried my G19 for years in Ohio. I still have it, but I really like the 45acp as a defense round as well. Since the G30 is only slightly wider yet shorter than the 19 I figured to give it a try.

First I needed to do some Accraglass magic to the back end. I have a rather large web of muscle inbetween my thumb and finger so a stock glock will "slide bite" me. Here is a pic of the G30 before after an agressive draw from my CCW holster:

DSC01425_zps3d5a98f2.jpg

AS you can see, the slide on both sides are ready to grind my hand to a meaty pulp. Now if I am careful on the draw and position my hand just right... no slide bite. But if a CCW brandishing situation ever comes to fruition, I can assure the only thoughts are a clean draw and front sight on target. With the new beavertail, that is a non issue. I found this out after 2 years of owning the G19. On the range I never got slide bite, but when I took my first CCW class began practising drawing and firing it began to happen. Let me show you how I did it. This is the third Glock I have done this to. A G19, G21, and now the G30.

First a pic of the 19 next to the 30

DSC01428_zps05cafa4a.jpg

First I roughed up the beavertail area with 60 grit sandpaper so the accraglass would hold.

DSC01433_zps996c2da5.jpg

I cleaned it with acetone, then took some modeling clay and and molded an oversized beavertail.

DSC01431-1_zpsfc343e9e.jpg

Mixed up some accraglass with some black dye and poured it in

DSC01432_zps10ad98cb.jpg

Here it is the next day with the clay removed. The accraglass does not stick to the clay.

DSC01435_zpsf596bd68.jpg

After maybe 45 minutes of hand sanding to shape then finish it looks pretty good. You can just make out where the frame ends and accraglass begins.

DSC01440_zps16fcae32.jpg

Here it is finished and ready for Duracoat blending.

DSC01441_zps656f4bc5.jpg

And finally another pic of a draw from concealment. Frame now has plenty of area and my delicate paws are safe. :grin: I also added some Trijicon night sites as well. Those things Rock.

DSC01446_zps6d0ee09b.jpg

It all came together today with its maiden voyage to the range. I ran just under 200 rounds through her. I also shoot a Lone Wolf barrel due to my reloads being lead and it is very tight. I had 4 or 5 FTF's, but due to the wadcutter reloads, and the steep angle of entry because of the fully supported chamber, I don't worry about it. I will run the stock barrel with hollowpoints when I carry.

Anyway here is a 5 yard 9 round magazine full where I fired as soon as the slide came back into battery and I reaquired the front site. I am very happy with this pistol. It is everything I want in a carry gun and just plain fun to shoot. i need to drift the rear sight just a tad to the right. :grin:

DSC01473_zps67b210f2.jpg

Total cost for the beavertail was 10 bucks for the modeling clay and whatever the accraglass costs. I just cant see sending it to someone who charges upwards of 200 for this to be done.

Very nicely done.

I too carry a Glock Model 30 for an Off Duty / CCW Handgun although mine is a Model 30 SF. I have had mine for about 5 months now and am totally pleased with it. I too much prefer the .45 ACP and my Model 30 SF replaced a Glock Model 26 9mm that I used to use for an Off Duty / CCW Handgun. Yes I feel much more comfortable with 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP as opposed to 10+1 rounds of 9mm.

I too have been thinking of getting an aftermarket barrel to shoot semi wadcutters in but so far have not taken the jump. The one thing I did do was I just ordered (Tuesday) an Advantage Arms Glock Model 29-30 .22 LR Conversion Kit with extra magazines so I can have fun at the Indoor Shooting Range shooting .22's through my Glock Model 30 SF (there is an Indoor Shooting Range for .22 LR Rimfires about 5 blocks from my house).

Larry

Pat, that is really a clever fix. I would have just gotten rid of Glocks, at least ones in .45 Cal. I don't have that issue but only own one semi auto (S&W Bodyguard). It bit me once but is has almost no beaver tail at all. I can see it biting me in a fight circumstance. However, I carry a Scandium revolver most of the time.'

Thanks Charlie, Dr. Mike, and Larry.

It is really a labor of love for me. Gramps taught me when I was a kid to use my head and hands to fix anything I came across and if I paid someone to do something I could do myself he would probaby come down from the great beyond and tan my hide. If I had a lathe I would probably be doing a lot more gun smithing.

Larry that 22 conversion intrigues me. I don't know anyone who has used them in the Glock platform. Please report back how she runs.

Pat,

Great job on the Beavertail! I need the samething for my G23 carry pistol and my G35 IDPA gun. Both of those 40s will bite occasionally were I have yet to have an issue with the G29 10mm.

I used one of those Advantage Arms conversions and had nothing but problems with standard velocity ammo. Did just fine with CCI Stingers? I would look at the Tactical Solutions conversion kit. The make them for the Glock 9mm and 40s. Don't about 45s and 10mm. It's getting high marks from the local PD and a couple of other firearms instructors.

pre6422hornet":5rxvs4wl said:
Larry that 22 conversion intrigues me. I don't know anyone who has used them in the Glock platform. Please report back how she runs.

Actually my Advantage Arms Glock Model 29-30 .22 LR Conversion Kit and the 4 Extra Magazines arrived on Friday. Friday afternoon upon returning home from the wifes Dr appointments in Fargo I promptly cleaned and lubed the Conversion Kit. Friday Night at the Indoor Shooting Range 3 buddies and I put it through it's paces. We fired over 250 rounds through it with one stovepipe and one misfire using Remington BULK Hollow Points.

Once I had the adjustable rear sight sighted in we quit shooting at paper and set out to shoot the 6" diameter steel falling plates. Everyone that shot the Advantage Arms Glock Model 29-30 .22 LR Conversion Kit really liked it. One of the guys that shot it has a Glock Model 22 and asked if Advantage Arms makes a .22 LR Conversion Kit for his Glock Model 22.

All in all I am quite pleased, and now can set out to do some serious shooting to see how accurate it is.

Larry

Larry in SD":1g6b14l0 said:
pre6422hornet":1g6b14l0 said:

Actually my Advantage Arms Glock Model 29-30 .22 LR Conversion Kit and the 4 Extra Magazines arrived on Friday. Friday afternoon upon returning home from the wifes Dr appointments in Fargo I promptly cleaned and lubed the Conversion Kit. Friday Night at the Indoor Shooting Range 3 buddies and I put it through it's paces. We fired over 250 rounds through it with one stovepipe and one misfire using Remington BULK Hollow Points.

Once I had the adjustable rear sight sighted in we quit shooting at paper and set out to shoot the 6" diameter steel falling plates. Everyone that shot the Advantage Arms Glock Model 29-30 .22 LR Conversion Kit really liked it. One of the guys that shot it has a Glock Model 22 and asked if Advantage Arms makes a .22 LR Conversion Kit for his Glock Model 22.

All in all I am quite pleased, and now can set out to do some serious shooting to see how accurate it is.

Larry

That's great it's working for you. May give them another try since Tactical Solutions only lists 9mm and 40 S&W kits right now.

Woodycreek":3sxnkfch said:
Pat,

I used one of those Advantage Arms conversions and had nothing but problems with standard velocity ammo. Did just fine with CCI Stingers?

Advantage Arms lists right in the instructions with the kit what ammo is recommended and what ammo isn't recommended. A buddy has one and had nothing but trouble with it until I had him read the ammo recommendations and when he switched to one of the recommended ammo he didn't have any more problems.

Larry

Thanks for the heads up. I was using a friends kit on my 10mm. He didn't say anything about recommend loads.

Believe it or not but Advantage Arms recommends either CCI Mini Mags (40gr. Solid only), Remington Golden Bullets (including the BULK Hollow Points) or CCI Blazers.

Glock30SFAdvantageArms_zps8a57cee1.jpg

Larry

Larry in SD":2bpo0xmz said:
Very nicely done.

I too carry a Glock Model 30 for an Off Duty / CCW Handgun although mine is a Model 30 SF. I have had mine for about 5 months now and am totally pleased with it. I too much prefer the .45 ACP and my Model 30 SF replaced a Glock Model 26 9mm that I used to use for an Off Duty / CCW Handgun. Yes I feel much more comfortable with 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP as opposed to 10+1 rounds of 9mm.

I too have been thinking of getting an aftermarket barrel to shoot semi wadcutters in but so far have not taken the jump. The one thing I did do was I just ordered (Tuesday) an Advantage Arms Glock Model 29-30 .22 LR Conversion Kit with extra magazines so I can have fun at the Indoor Shooting Range shooting .22's through my Glock Model 30 SF (there is an Indoor Shooting Range for .22 LR Rimfires about 5 blocks from my house).

Larry

I would steer away from Lone Wolf. I have one for my G21SF and it will not consistently feed anything including ball ammo. Called the company and they were quick to remind me that they are a match type chamber (tight) but if I sent it in they would look at it. It was not a very customer oriented phone call in my opinion. I have had a couple of KKM after market barrels in the past and loved them having no issues shooting lead or anything through them. I will be buying one of those as soon as I can.

Corey

My only experience with an aftermarket barrel for a Glock was with a Storm Lake 9mm Conversion Barrel for a Glock Model 22 and it shot quite well. I was actually thinking if I buy an aftermarket barrel for my Glock Model 30 SF it would be a KKM.

Larry

pre6422hornet":2i94nqnq said:
Thanks Charlie, Dr. Mike, and Larry.

It is really a labor of love for me. Gramps taught me when I was a kid to use my head and hands to fix anything I came across and if I paid someone to do something I could do myself he would probaby come down from the great beyond and tan my hide. If I had a lathe I would probably be doing a lot more gun smithing.

Pat, I have been in the hospital again this week and just now saw your posting.

I have learned to do nearly everything myself over the years. For instance, I took my SAA Colt (USFA) apart and put the lighter spring in the trigger-cylinder stop assembly area, filed the trigger to square the sear edge engagement in the hammer and eliminate creep. I worked great and now the trigger rocks! It really pays to be able to do this stuff yourself.

Been running a Lone Wolf 6.6" threaded barrel on my G20 SF 10mm. No problems with factory ammo or reloads with over 300 rounds down the tube.

Woodycreek":1r892807 said:
Been running a Lone Wolf 6.6" threaded barrel on my G20 SF 10mm. No problems with factory ammo or reloads with over 300 rounds down the tube.

Good to hear someone has a good one.

Corey

Back