Anyone play with a 36 yet?

meatmachineman

Handloader
Jan 25, 2012
So far I've shot an XDs .45 and have been able to do a side by side comparison of the XDs and SW Shield, but nowhere can I find a 36. I'm not wholly settled on a 45 yet in the first place, so a 36 may be out of the question anyways, but I'd really like to get my hands on one before I do. Has anyone handled one yet and what were your impressions?

I've been carrying a Glock 36 for a few years now...I really like it...I have handled the new Xds, I prefer the Glock.

It has never failed to feed, fire, or function in any way...with any ammo...darn accurate little booger too.

wayno945":24uej84m said:
Take a look at the new 30s... has the 36 slide
Nah... the 30S defeats the purpose as the rest of the gun seems just as wide. I have a 27 that I love, but am looking for something much thinner. I have a Taurus 709 Slim but that I love the size of... just not too fond of it being a Taurus... and a jump to 45 wouldn't be all bad either!

Ridgerunner665":2ii9lfec said:
I've been carrying a Glock 36 for a few years now...I really like it...I have handled the new Xds, I prefer the Glock.

It has never failed to feed, fire, or function in any way...with any ammo...darn accurate little booger too.
How's the recoil? The XDs I fired was surprisingly manageable. I'd expect the Glock to be similar. I have to say the XDs was definitely my choice between it and the Shield, but came at a considerably higher price. Sounds like if we're not careful, though, this might turn into a M&P vs Glock vs XDs argument :lol: I am a little disappointed in all three... especially Glock, over caliber choices. All things being equal, I'd like a 40... but that's relegated to the Shield. It seems for as long as long as Glock has offered the 36 (I was surprised to find out they've been out for 13 years... thought maybe 3 years... that's what I get for thinking), they'd have brought out a model 40 and 41 by now. The XDs would be nice to see a 40 and the Shield could stand a 45.

The xds is slimmer but when I used to carry the glock 36 I never noticed the extra girth. The 36 was really accurate too

I had a 36 but prefer my 1911's if I'm going to carry a .45 ACP.

Currently carrying 357 SIG in a Sig P226 DAK. I'll stick with it, for now.

meatmachineman":syj244hr said:
wayno945":syj244hr said:
Nah... the 30S defeats the purpose as the rest of the gun seems just as wide. I have a 27 that I love, but am looking for something much thinner. I have a Taurus 709 Slim but that I love the size of... just not too fond of it being a Taurus... and a jump to 45 wouldn't be all bad either!

If thin is what you want, I would go with a Kahr P series or CW series. My P9 is great for ccw.

wayno945":2nusut2q said:
meatmachineman":2nusut2q said:
wayno945":2nusut2q said:

If thin is what you want, I would go with a Kahr P series or CW series. My P9 is great for ccw.
Thanks... I always forget about about Kahr and really shouldn't. On my next weekend, I'll take a look.

Not trying to sound like a fanboy but if the 1911 isn't your cup of tea for thin I'd look at the Sig 239 if it doesn't have to be a .45 ACP. Also, look hard, as Wayno945 suggested, at the Kahr line.

meatmachineman":3ag8rzmo said:
Ridgerunner665":3ag8rzmo said:

How's the recoil? The XDs I fired was surprisingly manageable. I'd expect the Glock to be similar. I have to say the XDs was definitely my choice between it and the Shield, but came at a considerably higher price. Sounds like if we're not careful, though, this might turn into a M&P vs Glock vs XDs argument :lol: I am a little disappointed in all three... especially Glock, over caliber choices. All things being equal, I'd like a 40... but that's relegated to the Shield. It seems for as long as long as Glock has offered the 36 (I was surprised to find out they've been out for 13 years... thought maybe 3 years... that's what I get for thinking), they'd have brought out a model 40 and 41 by now. The XDs would be nice to see a 40 and the Shield could stand a 45.

My mother in law (a LEO) has an XDs, she brought it to me the day she bought it, I shot about 50 rounds of +P handloads through it...they are nice little pistols and you won't hear me bash them or S&W...But I prefer the feel of the 36, it has a bit more grip to get a hold of...and I run mag extensions (not the ones that add to capacity...mine are Pearce +0)

Glock 36 recoil...I carry 230 grain +P ammo, yes it is a handful...but not uncontrolable.

The Glock 36 is a popular little pistol, maybe not to the degree of the 17/19, but still popular...it gets a bad rap on the internet, but mostly it was just "growing pains", as any new design has (like the XDs recall)...they seem to have the bugs worked out now.

The G36 came out ahead of its time...13 years ago a 45acp that small was viewed as a joke by most...nowadays, all the makers are scrambling to get one designed, built, and on the market.

The 36 is very easy to carry...thats the #1 consideration in a concealed "carry" pistol...its not caliber, capacity, or color...it MUST be easy to carry above all else...a 22 in your pocket is better than a 357 mag left at home.

#2 is how it fits you...can you shoot it straight, get a good combat grip without having ti fidget with it, reach all the controls, etc.?

#3...holster selection...DO NOT overlook this, you will regret it.

If you have the Glock 27 which you like, it would make sense to go with the 36 if you like it and want to go to a 45. Your used to shooting a Glock which would help you stay consistant in your shooting. The 36 recoils a little smoother than the 27 and from my experiance is easier shooting. Just become a reloading machine. I would not bother with the 230 +p in 45, you don't need it. Our Dept used it in HK USP duty guns for a short time until I changed it back to standard 230 loads. The scores went up and the malfunctions went down.

Robert,

I have a G30, and side by side with my Kimber full size, I can't tell a difference in recoil. And as it has been said... accurate little bugger as well.

Thanks for the input thus far. I guess I really just need to track one down hold it... which I figured is what needed to happen in the first place.

Got over 2K through my G36, no problems. My favorite Glock, a CCW that carries well, very accurate and easy shooting.

Admittedly, I do know the model can be finicky with some brands of hollow points, however any other issues that "plagued" the design have been resolved years ago.

Try one first- if you find you dig, it will be hard to let go of.

sent via Tapatalk

Back