First Glock for Me...G20 Gen4

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
First off, I might have set myself up for this from the beginning since Glocks don't point naturally well for me. They point high, but I felt the larger frame and slide weight would help this issue.

Let me back up a little and say that the 10mm is a fantastic cartridge when loaded to its full potential, like Underwood does. The recoil is very manageable. My XDm 40 feels more snappy to me. I got this for a woods carry pistol. The idea of a 15 round magazine instead of 6 rounds inside a heavy revolver was more appealing to me, so I sprung for a new G20.

The trigger felt fine at the gun counter, but after a few range sessions, it has seemed a bit mushy to me on each trip to the range. The reset is fine, but I'm not pleased with the overall feel of the pull form first engagement to fire. I've been told Glock triggers are pretty good, and that they are all pretty much the same. "A Glock trigger is a Glock trigger." Well, if that's the case, then I'll pass on the Glock trigger, based on my sample of one.

Next are the sights. I think this is the first change that I will make if I don't get rid of the pistol before hand. The rear "U" is really funky and covers up the front dot too much. A 3-dot is by far superior as is the Kahr style "dot the I." I'm thinking night sights or a fiber optic front dot?

I've shot 3 different types of ammo, and all seem to display the same level of accuracy, which is my accuracy level at this point. I obviously don't shoot this pistol well...yet. I'm minute-of-bad-guy at 25 yards, but I'm much, much better than that with all my other pistols. I shoot this G20 to the left consistently, not much, but noticeable. Is that trigger control? Too big a grip size? The frame size of the G20 is large, and all the grip inserts make it larger. I've shot it with the standard grip and the medium beavertail insert. I'm 6' 2" but have medium size hands. I am concerned that this might be too big for my hands. I can palm a basketball, so....?

The only complaint I have about the function and reliability of the gun is that empty magazines wont drop free. All 3 factory mags that came with the pistol will hang up after falling about an inch or so is all. This has me ready to either send it back to Glock or just get rid of it. Perhaps I got one that's not up to Glock standards. It happens to all manufacturers, but so far, I'm not letting Glock stamp my forehead. I really want to like this pistol.

Carried a 21 for years, I feel your pain. Thankfully I was able to get command staff to sign off on 1911s and retired a happy man. I tended to shoot low and left. My feeling is the grip is so big I tended to pull a little sideways. I ran heinie sights on my glocks.

Thanks Salmonchaser! I knew I wasn't the only one with the Glock grip angle, but I wasn't sure if it was more due to the size of this grip. A sight change is probably what I'll try first. Who knows, I might be hitting exactly where I'm aiming since I can't see the front sight very well...I'll look into the Heinie sights.

Heinie makes a variant where the notch in the rear sight is cut a little wider. Really helpful for older eyes. If you need readers it may help.

As to the magazines, we trained the officers to actively strip them out. Also had some luck with armor all.

I do wear glasses, for just over a year now. This isn't an issue with any other handgun. The notch on the G20 seems plenty wide to me. The front dot just disappears sometimes. I don't have this issue with a 3-dot or the dot the "I" on my Kahr. The magazine issue isn't really that big a deal since this isn't a duty weapon, and if i need to reload after shooting 15 rounds out in the woods, then I'm in a real bad spot. I'll try some armor all to slick them up a bit. It's just frustrating to have these issues with Glock being what all others are compared. I'm going to have a Glock fan shoot it to see if any consistent patterns are present before I spring on new sights.

I have never been a fan of the Glock pistols. Not that they are not superbly built, tough and accurate with most having very good triggers. It is for the point that mountain goat made. For me when coming up to the ready they are barrel high. I am not sure if this is due to grip angle or not enough weight up front. I will always compare a pistols pointabilty to that of a 1911. It just points natural with sights aligned every time.

The 20s has a more slender grip and straighter grip angle. Vi have one of each and prefer the 20s, A hoot aftermarket barrel will really spice up the 10mm. A 6" cut rifled barrel with 220gr cast bullets at 1250fps is pretty potent medicine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26NosFan":1xeoi6kj said:
I have never been a fan of the Glock pistols. Not that they are not superbly built, tough and accurate with most having very good triggers. It is for the point that mountain goat made. For me when coming up to the ready they are barrel high. I am not sure if this is due to grip angle or not enough weight up front. I will always compare a pistols pointabilty to that of a 1911. It just points natural with sights aligned every time.

This is largely a case of what the shooter is accustomed to.

Happens to me when I switch from my 1911 to a student's Glock, every doggone time.

After a few shots through the Glock, I get the "muscle memory" re-tuned to Glock, and shoot 'em just fine. But yeah - that first time I grab it and bring it on target... the muzzle is high. To me, it's the grip angle that does it.

Guy

Shooting low and left is common for right handed pistol shooters.

It's a combination of not pressing the trigger straight back, and anticipating the shot.

Some dry fire practice should clear it up.

There are some inexpensive Glock trigger connectors available that can reduce the pull weight, which helps with accuracy, too.

Sent from the edge of my galaxy

I just find it strange that I'm so much more inconsistent with the Glock. I'm not a new shooter, just new to a Glock. I can shoot my Ruger SR9c instinctively better than I can the Glock slow fire. I'd go with a 1911, but 7-8 rounds of a slow mediocre penetrator that weighs a lot isn't what I want for woods carry. I'll continue to work with the Glock, but the sights must go. The rear "U" is odd at best and overpowers the front dot.

Consider a set of Tritium filled night sights from Richard Heinie.

http://www.heinie.com/

I've been running those on my Kimber 1911 for a long time now. Love the "straight eight" pattern instead of the more conventional three-dot. Heinie's sights are steel, very well made. Serving on a lot of heavy-duty, hard use pistols. It's the gun I carried on SWAT, patrol and detective duty. I trusted my life to those sights.

BTW - you can get a 10mm 1911 if you want.

Regards, Guy

When I ordered my first set of Heinie sights I spoke to him directly, told him what was going on with my vision. He recommended the straight 8 and enlarging the rear sight. Very knowledgeable and helpful guy.

I've got a G29SF and the G40. Both of them with the same sights. I've shot a 1911 forever so the Glocks took a little getting used to and my buddies worked over my G40 For me. The higher sight profile did take a little getting used to, but 180's and 200's trucking out of the G29 and 40 are pretty danged awesome in my opinion. Hard to match with much else that doesn't weigh a bunch more.

My brother has the 20 and the 40 MOS. I'm have large hands and the grip still fills them up lol. I also point very muzzle high with a glock compared to other pistols. I can shoot both of his just fine accuracy wise, but I have to do it very slow. Once I speed up it gets ugly lol. I much prefer the straight grip of the Sigs. Heck I can speed shoot my double action revolvers more accurately than I can those two glocks. I'm not taking away from glocks they are an excellent and reliable platform. They just aren't really for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that anyone asked, but I also am not a Glock fan. They are well made, reliable, rugged, and have the most aftermarket parts available aside from perhaps AR platforms. That said, I have never been able to shoot one well, no matter what I've tried and no matter who's I've tried. It's a me thing, I'm sure, but there it is. Who knows, I may try one again at some point.

Back