Shot my G40

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Shot the G40 for the first time today.

Still have a goofy grin on my face.

I think that pistol and I are going to get along quite well!

Congrats on the new Glock!

That is some serious firepower, 15 rounds of 10mm from a 6" barrel, wow. Did you have a chance to run any of them through a chrono?

I was just shooting American Eagle ammo that they had on the shelf when I bought the pistol. Nothing special or interesting, lol.

I'll try to chrono it as I shoot more "serious" loads through it.

How are you liking that G40? I'm getting ahead of my self and bought some Fed Prem ammo. Wanting to get the G40 SOON!!

I like it a lot!

I really enjoy shooting it. Was just at the range on Friday, actually, shooting some steel plates with it. The range where I go has a steel pistol range, and it's bordered by concrete walls, and has a roof over top. The 10-mil makes its presence known in there when you light it up!

It was pretty funny to watch the 10mm rounds slap the dueling tree steel plates around with a bounce on the far side. My 9mm XDs sometimes didn't move them enough to stop them from swinging back into the position where I shot them. I had to hit the outside edge with the 9mm to get them stay swung over to the far side. With the 10mm, any hit would do, and do with authority.

I broke down and picked up the G40 yesterday. We'll call it an early Xmas present. I had $600 of it saved and the rest my wife said "Merry Xmas ..... Oh by the way.. Your getting me .......... for Xmas". Well played on her part. Ha

I grabbed the American Eagle ammo to shoot today but still looking for woods carry ammo. Did you put or considering a sighting system for it?
Thanks for info.
Bill

No, I didn't want an RMR on it. I could see the merit to it, but for a carry gun, I didn't want to. I use it as a defensive carry woods gun....it's shorter than my Smith 57 6", and lighter, packs almost as much oomph with 9 10 more rounds capacity, and a longer sight radius. Loaded it weighs about the same as an empty 1911.

I went to Underwood for carry ammo. I got 180gr Gold Dots from Underwood. It's not their most mighty ammo, but they post their advertised ballistics on their site, and it seemed like it was what I wanted. A 180gr Gold Dot is not a trifling thing, and it's moving fast from the 10mm. The long G40 soaks up recoil nicely...I can't "double tap" like a well trained combat handgun shooter, but I can do it fast enough that if I have the ability to get the gun on target, I can get multiple rounds into a person or bear-sized target in a very short amount of time.

I did put a Streamlight TLR-1 light on it. It mounts easy, had my holster made to accommodate it, and it just lives out there on the G40's rail all the time. I carried the G40 rigged like that when I was packing elk meat and it wasn't any sort of comfort or weight issue for me at all. I put it on its own military surplus duty belt and in a good holster and it rode just fine and was easily accessible.

Now if I could just figure out why I shoot about 2" left of POA consistently with all semiauto handguns, I'd be all set. lol

I just traded into a Glock 40 MOS. I have been using a Ruger 22 mkIII with a micro red dot for small game hunting the last few years and have been impressed with the sight system. I wanted to set up the Glock 40 similarly.

Being a backup gun that will be used for bear defense I didn’t want to completely trust an electric sight. After some research I found that the vortex viper was one of the lowest and smallest of the micro dots. It also lended itself well to cowitnessing with suppressor height sights.

0aa9b0e63b3ad2c283eb9f4ffe54c781.jpg

11cca84891398a1244c3265d1e2996ac.jpg

I set this up with ameriglo tritium suppressor height sights. They will cowitness perfectly with the viper. By looking over the sights you can center the red dot in view screen for an unobstructed view of the target.

I’ve only got about 150 rounds thru this setup so far but I am impressed. At 25 yards I can easily keep 10+ rounds into a 2” group, a little better if I really take my time. Clay pigeons at 50 yards are in real trouble and my 9x12 steel swinger is in real trouble out to 100 yards. Setting the 6 moa dot just above plate would hit the bottom 1/3 of the plate. Unbelievable how wiggly that dot appears at 100 yards.

I’m carrying it in a chest holster. I really like the chest holster set up. I might have one built that will accommodate a stream light TRL-1s.

dd6e3eb754075288f3c76ee51a0be4c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking set up. I just got my first Glock, a Gen 4 G20. I have a couple AK hunts coming up in the next few years and my 357 started looking smaller....

I have a TLR-1 on my 20, and it was on my 40. They are nice lights.

I went with KT Mech for my holster, and I got their Akela model with level 2 retention, and molded to fit the TLR-1. I really like that setup.

Back