Glock 21C & 1911a1

hopmah

Beginner
Oct 14, 2007
I carry a 1911A1 that has been accuracized and my wife just got a Glock 21C for our anniversary. I reload for the 1911 and have been hearing much conflicting info re reloading for Glocks. Is there any reason that my 1911 loads should not be used in the Glock? Any suggestions for the loads to use for both? Is 45 brass cycled through the Glock suitable for use in the 1911 or should I keep the brass separated?

Biggest concern with Glocks is no loading of lead bullets. Due to differnt rifling the lead will build up and cause higher pressures. If you wish to shoot lead you will have to get an aftermarket barrel.

Thanks for the info. I don't use lead anymore. This does raise a question though. Does this lead issue go for all radiased Rifling?

Funny thing is there are about four companies using polygonal rifling, i.e., Glock, H&K, Khar & Magnum Research, and only Glock warns against the use of lead bullets.

Some believe it is due to the transition from the chamber to the rifling that can cause the lead build up. I have even read that theory on Wikipedia.

I believe that could be the cause, plus you throw in the fact that a Glock can be fire out of battery and you could have trouble. Enough lead at the end of the chamber could push the cartridge out enough to be out of battery.

I have only fired JHP and JRN in my Glock pistols and have never had a problem.

Shooting lead bullets through bores with polygonal rifling cannot be done successfully as the bullet will not "take" the rifling and will be unstable. You will most likely find all the bullets are going through the target side ways or some variation thereof.

Hopmah,

In most all cases the brass fired in Glocks will not function correctly when reloaded and fired in chambers of normal dimensions. The sizing dies cannot size the case next to the head. You will be well advised to keep all your brass separate. Glocks have very large chambers.

A friend of mine has over 15000 rounds through his Model 22 with hard cast reloads, so maybe the mythbusters need a visit! I has several 100 rounds of wheel weight cast bullets through my 22, I clean after each session and have had no problems. The .40 cal has also put two deer in the freezer from 30 and 70 yards! I may be addicted to the little pistol for those two one-shot stops!

Back