G20

MarlinMark

Beginner
Mar 27, 2006
I am a bit confused about the reloading of brass fired in a Glock factory barrel. Some say that it is dangerous and some say it isn't. I am going to buy a G20 (10mm) and by new brass for it and load it all up (500 rds.) I will pick up as much of it as possible and hold onto it so that I can reload it once I've done my homework and made sure one way or the other.

On another note, I'm going to buy a .40 cal after market barrel for my G20. I like the idea of being able to shoot the .40's due to price and versatility. Kinda like a .357....you can always shoot .38's if ya want.

So, what dies would you buy to load (and reload) 10mm/40?

Mark

Get some starline brass. Load it below max and enjoy. I just got a SW 1006 and loving it.

With the factory barrel do not load lead bullets. Watch your brass for bulging and you should be fine.

If you wish to shoot lead then get an aftermarket barrel. The inital cost might seem like a good bit but it will pay for itself. If you wish to hunt with it a good 6" aftermarket barrel would be awesome :grin:

All barrels are made to SAAM specs. There
should be no problems with brass fired from your G 20. I own a G 20 as well.I normally will not reload my brass more than 4 times befor checking for case stretch. (OAL) I use redding 40-10MM carbide dies in a dillon super 1050 press.Only jackeded rounds in my factory barrel. This is for the resale val; if I ever decide to sell it ( unlikely) Have fun and be safe.

I reload for my G20.........due to poor case support I switched to a Lone wolf barrel.....and a Wolff 22# sping and SS rod. Also switch to power springs in my Mags.......no cycle problems with heavy loads.

Why is it recommended not to shoot lead in the Glock factory barrel, gas ports?

JD338

It has to do with the polygonal rifling in the factory barrel being highly prone to leading. It can quickly build enough to create pressure spikes.

Also, I've handloaded literally thousands of rounds for my Glock 23. I don't generally shoot mx pressure loads, but rather mid-range loads that are fun to plink with at the range. I don't get case bulges, either. I shoot factory hollow points in it for defense purposes, and get no bulges there, too. It's all about knowing your firearm and it's shooting characteristics.

I love my Glock 23, by the way. It just works, every time.

Gentlemans,

I recently bought a G20 to use as a trail gun. I have reloaded some for it already, despite having been told (by some) that the sky would fall on me if I did.

I would love to hear what loads you all are running. I want a full-boat trail load, with a 180 or 200-gn bullet, and a "messaround" load that is designed for long, safe brass life. This load will likely use lighter bullets.

My first loads for it have been with Blue Dot. They worked fine. I was using 10 grains with 155-gn bullets.

VERY COOL pistol!

Do you have an after market barrel? It's not necessary but will allow longer life on your brass. I used to load in my G20 the following loads:

*Caution* these are full power and will bulge and cause smileys in a glock barrel (personal experience there). These are max loads, please drop one grain and slowly work up in .2 grains to the max.

With Starline brass 9.5 grains of Long Shot, CCI 350 primers, 180 grain Speer gold dot I got an average of 1282 fps.

This was my favorite load, Starline brass, 200 grain Bear Tooth bullet, 8.8 grains of Longshot, CCI350 primers average velocity of 1264 fps. By the way this was out of my G29. The first load was out of my G20. For both of them I used after market barrels for them.

I have a load for Laser Cast bullets and one for the Nosler 135 grain hollowpoint if you want them.

Corey

C.Smith":3lw2eyql said:
With Starline brass 9.5 grains of Long Shot, CCI 350 primers, 180 grain Speer gold dot I got an average of 1282 fps.

Corey

Hi Jeff,
Great choice for a trail gun. I used my ODG20 to replace my 5" 629 Classic. It's much lighter and still packs a heck of a punch. It's a whole lot easier to clean too.

I shoot 9.4 grains of Longshot lit by CCI-350's with 180 grain XTP's set at 1.260" and get 1325fps out of my G20 with a Lone Wolf barrel. My factory barrel would buldge a few.

One day you should venture to the coast and do some shooting with JoeCool and myself. If you got a good spot we could come up there. We could do a few ground squirrels or go shoot some long range steel.

Shawn

I would very much like that! Joe Cool and I have been talking about doing that. The long-range steels sound like more fun to me; I've been doing a lot of that lately, and would love to learn from JC and yourself how people REALLY do it <g>. Those Allen mags of his... too cool.

It just occurred to me tonight that I still need to load up my trail loads for the G20. I have plenty of those 180 XTP's on hand. Neat pistol. Wish I could afford another Glock right now; I'd be all over it.

I handled a G20 SF the other day, and really liked that too.

I have a G 29. For trail loads I buy 200 gr Doubletap loads. Check out their website and load data.

No problem reusing you Glock fired brass. I have some that have been reused 30+ times. I run them until I can't find them. The ones to avoid reloadis if they are split or they get a signifigant buldge that when resized leaves a shiney spot on the side of the brass. I would toss those and adjust the load until you no longer get those. An aftermarket barrel will tolerate much more potent loads without the buldges or splits.

A second coversion barrel is a good idea other than forgetting to switch and firing 40 S&W in your 10mm chamber. That is to be avoided. It is not like shooting 38's in a 357 at all. The headspace is off the case mouth and the 2 different calibers are very different. The recoil spring may be an issue with 40's in a 10mm.

A Glock in 40S&W is a very potent pistol in it's own and I would rather just get a G22 for your 40S&W practice.

I have shot a hot load that was checked in my KKM barrel I had that, through the stock barrel and saw that I had really bright glock smiles on the brass near the 6 o clock position. Really close to blowing the gun.

Corey

Back