glock problems?

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
Was talking to my dad who winters in Florida and he said that he had read that several police dept's had begun switching over from Glock pistols due to some other departments experiencing catastrophic failures. My dad didn't have specific info and I was unable to find anything on line. Has anyone else heard this?

There have been some Kabooms with Glocks and certain ammo. Federal had a bad batch a couple years ago that cause several failures.

Glocks can get a really bad rap, especially with a biased former gun writer on the internet.

Any every gun can Kaboom when you feed it the wrong/bad ammo. Put a double charge of powder or even the wrong powder and there it goes :wink:

There are some departments switching to S&W M&P, some switching to Glock and even some switching to 1911s. Around here we mostly carry Glocks.

About 70 - 75% of cops across the U.S. carry Glocks anymore from what I've read. Shame on S&W for letting a market they had sewn up generations ago get away...

Meanwhile back to the Glock - There really are very few problems with the guns. Their chamber does not support the case head fully. As above, I had the one and only "kaboom" with a Glock at my little 40-some officer PD, and it was with an early lot of Federal 155 gr .40 cal ammo. The case ruptured, the magazine was sent flying out of the gun, and my hand stung for a while. Otherwise, no problem.

Inspected the gun. Re-loaded with different, 180 grain ammo, and continued to fire. That little Glock 27 is still in use today, thousands of rounds later. Federal fixed that ammo problem promptly.

I'm not a rabid Glock fan, but they are pretty good guns. Me? I carry a 1911 on duty and always have.

Regards, Guy

The problem with Glock bbls is this: In order to feed about anything thru them, they leave unsuported cases. Look at some of your fired cases with Glocks, many will have the old "smiley face" on them. I love my Glocks but be aware that can be an issue with the higher pressure rounds like the 40. Take the bbl out, put in a round and look at the bottom of the barrel/chamber and see how much of the case you can actually see.

We only had one kaboom which was linked to reloaded 45 ammon. Our dept is 70 plus and in the 15 years I've been there we have only had Glocks and no problems. I have shot thousands of rounds with no issues. If you are a handloader though you may want to invest in an after market barrel.

Corey

1911's rule...always will.

But I carry a Glock because the darn thing is so easy to carry and care for...and if it were to get gone for whatever reason I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

I have a Baer 1911 (stainless Stinger)...well...had...I gave it to my son when he graduated boot camp...but anyway...if I lost that, I'd be out $1,900...the Glock, $480 and its a good bit lighter and smaller (G36)...darn accurate little booger though)

I don't think I'd want one in 40 S&W flavor though...

There were some issues with lights on the guns causing them to fail as well.

I'm not much of a Glock fan, for various reasons, but I do own and use a few when I have to. I much prefer the Sig 226 or the 1911. Any manmade item can and will fail at some point, even man himself. I just don't shoot Glocks well and I'm unwilling to spend the ammo to develop the shooting habits I need to run the Glock like I need to. The Sig, P-35, and 1911 don't give me that issue.

The issue with the lights was attributed to a magazine spring. I had them on my G22 duty pistol for a while, switched out the mag springs like Glock directed and the issue went away. I've been shooting Glocks for around 16 years not, I always end back up with one after trying many different guns. They are definitely not the most accurate, which I was reminded of recently at the range but they sure do work when they need to. Also very easy to care for. All the other guns I had (Sig, HK) that I've carried have all had rust issues after just one day. They take a lot more car. My Glocks I can go a month with out maintenance or longer with no issues. I've only had one Glock rust and that was my fault let it go too long in the summer months.

Corey

Back