Which Glock ??

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
I'm starting to think about a hand-gun purhcase and am thinking Glock.
( ok, thinking of purchasing quickly if I can find one local )

Anyway, I don't have much experience in the hand-gun dept. I've owned one Ruger Semi-auto .40 & currently own a .44mag revolver.

One of my key points is it has to be small enough and comfortable enough for my wife to shoot. Which models would one sugest ?
She handles recoil quite well so I'm thinking 9mm easily.. maybe another .40..... how much more recoil from a .45 over the .40 ?

Thanks in advance !

If you like .45 then the new Glock 30 SF (short frame) is nice. Little bit slimmer grip then the old Glock 30.

The Glock 26 & 27 9mm & .40S&W are nice for conceal carry however the 27 can flip a bit for some. I never have a problem qualifying with it myself.

The .40S&W has a snappier recoil then the .45acp to me. The .45acp has more of a rolling recoil.

Here is a Glock 30SF

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/137/products_id/53944

and a regular Glock 30

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/137/products_id/12901

Glock 23 .40 Cal good for concealed carry but still big enough to shoot at the range all day. 9mm may be the way to go since your wife will carry it and ammo is cheaper.

I agree with TScottW99 that the recoil from the 40 is a bit snappier than the 45.
I have a glock 23 and like it. I love my Kimbers but do like the safe action of the glock for carry purposes.
Have you considered the new 327 cal in a small frame revolver?

I appreciate the info... especially about the recoil perception.

Just finished some reading on the .327.. fairly interesting round ! But maybe for my 3rd one...?? I'm pretty set on going the semi-auto direction on this one.

Probably won't spend much time at the range with it either... more of a keep close / camping / etc niche that I'd like to fill at the moment ....
I have small hands as well ( looked at one of the 27's tonight ) and no more shooting than I think it will get would probably do fine.

I actually like the feel of the Taurus Mellennium in how it feels, but keep hearing ... not terrible things, just people saying they don't like them??? Thoughts ?
The .44 Mag Revolver I have is a Taurus and no more than I shoot it, it's been a great unit.

Thanks again !!

Powerstroke

Take a look at the Kimber 1911.

I have the Tactical Pro II in 45 ACP. I love shooting this pistol. :grin:
KimberTacticalProII45ACP-1.jpg

JD338

JD,
That is beautiful !!! I'm really attempting to curtail what I do here.... if I get something like that, then new opportunities open up, one thing leads to another..... now I'm loading for it... :grin: I have to behave here, I'm seeing a 6.5 X 47 here in the near future..... :wink:

If its not a gift........................Why not take her along and let her hold them all? Let her decide which is more comfortable. I have small hands and I shoot a G17C, Fits like a glove but its only a nine.

If you have small hands look at the S&W M&Ps. You can change out the backstraps to fit your hand. I have the M&P .40 and like it as much as my Glock 22.

My wife has shot my G22 (40) and my G30 (45) and she much prefers the recoil of my G30 over the G22. She will shoot both but it is more enjoyable for her that way. She now has a 9mm. The G27 is not a beginners gun due to the amount of snap it has when fired. Some people can handle it fine some don't. I would try and find someone with a G27 and or rent one and let her shoot.

I'm also with the last post let your wife pick what she likes. I tried to buy what I thought my wife would like in a gun, but I have never been right, two attempts. Third attempt I let her pick it out and I bought it.

Corey

Back