Scouting out a place to go long

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
Tomorrow I'm going out into the woods to find a place to stretch out the 28s legs. Hoping to find a place to get to a 1000yds. I have my eye on a clear cut they just finished up on ..... we'll see.

Scott

Just had to get the first post! (y)

Good luck. Looking forward to hearing about the 28 Nosler going long.

JD338

That's the trick to find 1000yd shooting, a safe and readable spot. In mountains it's easy to find long areas but tough with wind coming in on swirls. Good luck.

You guys are all experienced riflemen and I'm not worried about anyone here - but who knows who might be reading this and decide to give it a try...

So, I'll add a caveat - BE CAREFUL where you set up your target, your shooting position, and BE AWARE of what's going on. Having a team, with somebody watching the whole area while the shooting is happening, provides a great safety net.

There are some terrific places to shoot long range near me, but usually I just go to the rifle range instead, for the safety factor.

I don't KNOW that there's not going to be some hiker, bird-watcher, geologist, mushroom picker, whatever... wandering into the area I've selected for long-range shooting out on PUBLIC LAND.

Please be careful.

Regards, Guy

Found a great spot in the clear cut I was considering. Four miles in behind a locked gate(I have combo) on a dead end logging road that has switch backs to place targets at or near 400,600, 900 and 1200+ yds. I'll shoot from near the entrance and have control of access to the road. I have cleared ground for hundreds of yards around each target and I'll be using a spotter when I go beyond 400yds. It's on BLM land only accessible through private gated timberland. Pretty ideal actually. Now I need some steel.

Scott

Sounds as if you did find a great spot. And with a spotter, you're in the money. I know I'm looking forward to seeing how your rifle performs for you. (y)

That 28 Nosler should be a hoot to shoot at those long ranges. I am looking forward to your photos and the range report.

Blessings,
Dan

Guy Miner":n1d4er2i said:
I've got three AR-500 targets and two good stands... :grin:

Guy,
I'm looking for some AR500 gongs and hanging solutions. What would you reccomend? I'm thinking it would be nice to have some good sized ones for when the range gets long. I can ring an 8" all day long at 300yds ,at 800 that might be a challenge.
Scott

...generally speaking, targets are 1 (10") or 2 (20") MOA or 12-18-24" so they're easy to reference w/ a 'dot system', a 1.5 MOA (16") is pretty popular around here for 600-800yd. targets, easy to use w/ MOA/mildot...

Scott,

Come over to my place. I have a 1,000 Yard range out my front door.[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince":2qba8n7f said:
Scott,

Shame on you, rubbing it in like that. :lol:

Hi RR just wondering if you have stretched the legs on that Nosler 28. I am still looking forward to your photos with a range report (y).

Blessings,
Dan

i am limited by trees and topography. I have to drive a couple of hundred yards for 118 yard range, I use my 4 wheeler to get stuff there. 300, 425 and 600, are all shot from 50 feet to the east of the house. I use my 4 wheeler to check and post the targets. The 600 yard spot is almost a 1/2 mile by road/trail, all of these ranges are hampered by wind and sun, the 118 is in a draw and uneffected.

DrMike":279qmdlg said:
Vince":279qmdlg said:
Scott,

Shame on you, rubbing it in like that. :lol:

The door's open if you want to drive down.

Vince

I've been looking for somewhere to shoot longer for awhile . last weekend I found a pretty nice spot . I just hope it doesn't grow up to fast .

this bunch of trees is 1620yards from where I'm standing to take the picture . from the bunch of trees to the far treeline , to the right a little ,I couldn't get a reading . it's a long ways across this place .

What is behind the trees, Jim? It definitely gives you room to stretch the legs.

DrMike":2zuqx0la said:
What is behind the trees, Jim? It definitely gives you room to stretch the legs.

the ground rises right there behind the trees . then there is probably close to a mile of trees before getting out to a public road .

jimbires":2w7oxrwc said:
DrMike":2w7oxrwc said:

the ground rises right there behind the trees . then there is probably close to a mile of trees before getting out to a public road .

Man, that's very nice. I love open areas where you can put down a mat and just shoot. Very cool Jim.

Back