Took the 28Nosler long today.

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I finally got my new VX6 3-18 mounted on my 28Nosler. It has the new Zero Lock CDS and is perfect for long range shooting/hunting. I started at the 100yd range to sight in and six shots later I was zeroed in at 1.7" high for a 250yd zero. The 28 gave me 2 .5MOA groups at 100yds. I took a friend who I have been helping start reloading and finding a load/shooting long etc.. His rifle is a Win 70 PF in 300bee. We've got a load shooting .75MOA with 200gr NABs over IMR7828ssc. It's moving along at 3040fps; an excellent elk load. My load is a 175ABR over 90.5gr RL33 at 3.48" moving out at 3220fps. 8) We then proceeded over to a nearby clear cut. We placed a steel gong at 350yds to warm up. My friend had a custom CDS dial on his VX6 3-18 but said "I'll just hold over and and nail it." He proceeded to hit it 4 out of 6 times shooting a 12" in group. I suggested that he trust the dial and dial to 350yds and shoot a group. His next 3 shots landed in a little over 3" and a believer was born. I had 5 shot group that measured 2.2". We then started shooting rocks across the canyon. This was the first time out for us shooting beyond 400yds. I'd never shot my 28 Nosler past 100yds and he his 300bee past 300yds. I was trying to verify my load data and shoot card and he was trying to verify his CDS dial. We had a 6-8mph wind at a 1/4 value. I used an adjusted BC of .647 for the 175gr ABLR that was determined by Bryan Pierce of Applied Ballistics. It was a perfect match all the way out to 750yds; the furthest we shot today. I had first round hits at 462, 612, 687 and 748 yds. The best one being 748yds on a 18" rock that I center punched and hit 6 more times. My 28Nosler gives me a lot of confidence! Below is a picture of where we were shooting. The blue circle represents the rock at 748yds.
Scott

Sounds as if all is working out quite well for you and your compadre. Congratulations. That 28 is putting those LRABs where they need to be.

I'm envious of you having an area where you can shoot long range and not have to worry what's in the back round. All the farms around where I live have been developed and 150yds is a long shot if you have a good back stop. It seems like there is a house over every hill.
Sounds like the 28 Nosler is working very good for you. (y)

Scott,

Looking good buddy. You have the 28 Nosler singing.

JD338

Wow! Very nice, sounds like an awesome day.

Your buddies 300 sounds pretty good as well. That's an elk whooper for sure.

Took the 28 along with the Creed to a 1K today. I covered the Creed in another post. The 28 shot well today. I had some bipod trouble and without a level I strung some shots horizontally. I got things figured out after about 1/2 dozen shots. The guy I was shooting with has a custom 7RUM shooting 195Bergers. His gun packs a Nightforce 5x25 and is a pretty heavy gun. My Win 70 ran with his full custom pretty well. By the end of the shoot he had 12 rounds into about 1moa and it would have been on the 16" target if he'd dialed left and not right. He's kind of new to dialing and I'd suggested he hold for wind and dial for elevation but he wanted to dial....... and went the wrong way. My shoot card gave me 18.6 moa and my dial maxed out at 18.75 and for some reason that equated to 18.3 in my pea brain so I held on the top of the 16" target and sent it down range. Surprise.... I hit high. I'll need to figure out if I need to evaluate B.C. or retest velocity. It was warmer today - about 83 degrees. I clicked back to 18moa and aimed dead center and hit the 3" dot. My best shot of the day. When I shot for groups I was able to maintain .75moa avg. on the groups. Best one was 7" - the worst about 9.5". The 28 bucks the wind a lot better than then the Creed; as expected, and the light winds didn't seem to effect the 175ABLRs to much.

Scott

Scott that 28 Nosler is one nice round and you have it dialed right in.
I too like my Leuys and the VX6 is great scope.

Blessings,
Dan

Back