The 6.5 Creedmoor goes long........very well!

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
I verified my recent 129ABLR load and it consistently printed at about .5moa. I chrono'd the load at 2950fps. I used a tested b.c. of .553 and set up my shoot card. I'm shooting this rifle with a VX3 4.5x14 and TSX1-32moa reticle. The winds were variable 3-8mph about 1/4 value and not to difficult to guage. 1st target was a 12" rock at 507yds - center punched it. Then took it 535,650,734 and finally to 784. I was really pleased to hit everything well on the first shot. It was the first time I've ever shot my Creedmoor beyond 100yds. Accurate rifles are very addicting! The most fun of the day was taking a new friend to the range with his new Browning Xbolt 300wsm and 17 rounds of Nosler factory ammo. 17 rounds was enough to bore sight, group, sight in and get him on target at 500 yds. He'd never shot more than 200yds in his life. He was flabbergasted at the shooting we were doing. It's really not very hard if you have the right tools and the rocks don't move!

Scott

Hmmm, not very hard. Certainly good tools help but you still must know how to consistently: develop a solid position, sight picture, sight alignment, breathing and trigger control. It would appear you have mastered the art for your self but as a coach as well. Nicely done.

Good going teaching someone how to get it done at long range. I have to do that next month with my hunting buddy. He bought a Browning BAR a few years back and couldn't hit the broad side of barn past 200yds last year. I talked him into letting me build him a custom 300 win mag for this year. He was flinching really bad with his BAR but it has a terrible trigger and doesn't have a brake. This one will have Jewell and one of my new brakes. I actually tried to talk him into building a smaller caliber first, like a 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 saum, but he's a manly man and doesn't want a small caliber. :mrgreen: :lol:

IdahoCTD":k6njflyp said:
Good going teaching someone how to get it done at long range. I have to do that next month with my hunting buddy. He bought a Browning BAR a few years back and couldn't hit the broad side of barn past 200yds last year. I talked him into letting me build him a custom 300 win mag for this year. He was flinching really bad with his BAR but it has a terrible trigger and doesn't have a brake. This one will have Jewell and one of my new brakes. I actually tried to talk him into building a smaller caliber first, like a 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 saum, but he's a manly man and doesn't want a small caliber. :mrgreen: :lol:
Nathan,
Your brakes are awesome! On my Creedmoor I never lose sight picture and my 28Nosler would not be fun to shoot without your brake. I need to order one of your new ones for my 6.5WSM that's being built right now.
I whole heartily recommend using a lighter caliber to work on technique. My Creedmoor was built just for that purpose. Thousands of rounds down range training without flinching, destroying the barrel or the bank account - not sure the 28Nosler could do that.

A Creedmoor is plenty capable of killing a elk out to 5-600yds and that is why I tried to get him to build one first and then work into a bigger caliber but he is hard headed. So we might end up doing it backwards if he can't shoot the 300wm from the get go.

Very good, Scott. Excellent report. You're definitely putting things where they belong with the Creedmoor. (y)

Good report Scott! It's always nice to hear when someone puts forth the time and effort do succeed at precision long range shooting. The more you practice the better it gets to be 2nd hand.

One of things I'm adjusting to is the upgrade required in optics; both in scopes and spotters. I still need to upgrade the range finder. Who would have ever thought I could out shoot a a Leica CRF900. Looking at the Sig Kilo 2000; wish I had the budget for G7 BR2.

Scott

muleman":1jz92igw said:
One of things I'm adjusting to is the upgrade required in optics; both in scopes and spotters. I still need to upgrade the range finder. Who would have ever thought I could out shoot a a Leica CRF900. Looking at the Sig Kilo 2000; wish I had the budget for G7 BR2.

Scott

That SIG seems really good for the money.

No know these are a lot of money, but if you can find a Terrapin they are second to none! They may lack the power, or field of view compared to a high end Binocular range finder since they are only 5x, but the glass is super clear and the laser beam is super small for pin point ranging out to 2,500 yards or more.

Mine has never failed me when held steady on top of my Hog Saddle mounted to the trip-pod at a shooting match. One push and the number is always good as long as you pointed it correctly! No false readings, no zero readings, no hiccups, it just plain works every time.

Took the Creed to 1k today. We were shooting from the prone position. My shoot card said 24.9moa and the winds were tough to read. At the shooting line we had 1/8 value L to R variable 3-4mph; at the target we appeared to have R to L full value at 2-3mph. In between it looked like a slight updraft from thermals. We were shooting from flat to an elevated target on a small ridge. We were shooting at a local club that shuts down the entire range on Thursdays so the long shooters can play. I dialed 25moa held left 1moa and let her rip. 1st shot was high by 12" but windage was within 2". Checked the dial - I'd dialed 26moa on the two turns instead of 25. Dialed down 5 clicks and dropped it into the 10 ring. Then I wanted to see how it would group out that far. Loaded three into the mag, checked the wind and fired three very quickly. I was rewarded with a 5" group located 9" left of the "X". The wind must have slacked off when I started. I was very happy with group. The 129ABLR is maintaining better than .5moa all the way out. I was using a VX3 4 x14.5 on the Creed. It's a little low powered for 1K. I think I'll switch it out for my VX3 6.5x20. All in all - a good day for the first try at 1K. There was a Grand Master shooter watching us shoot and when we were done he came over and chatted with me and checked out my rifle. He thought if I upped my scope I might be pretty competitive and invited me to a monthly shoot another club has every month. :shock: I'm still so new to this long range stuff and man that wind is hard to range!

Scott

Sounds like that Creed is kicking butt Scott. Awesome shooting.

What kind of speed and energy is the Creedmor bringing at 1000 yards?

Scotty,
At 1K the Creedmoor is still going 1550fps and has almost 700ft-lbs of energy. That's 50% more energy than a 45acp at the muzzle. It's supersonic past 1500yds. IF..... I was ever thinking about taking an animal that far I'd switch to the 28Nosler at double the energy at that range. I've been doing a lot of shooting at ranges beyond 400yds and it's a whole different ballgame. The wind being the biggest factor. In no or light wind conditions I've got to the point where I can make first round hits in a 10-12" target out to 800yds. Past that or when the wind gusting it can be a crap shoot(pun intended).

Scott

I figure when the old, faithful Green Machine's latest .308 barrel wears out.... It will become a 6.5 of some sort. Creedmoor high on the list.

Guy and gang quit talking about 6.5s :wink:. They are so cool that is what I would really like to build but I just can't as cost of Customs are very expensive up here now. You are looking at a minimum of $5,000.00 :(.
Oh well glad people on the site are still buying & building love the talks and the photographs.

Blessings,
Dan

Muleman,

What is your barrel length?

What do you expect to get for round count out of the barrel? 2,500 or less???

Only thing that is keeping me from going 6.5 or 6 XC with a 115 or 6 BR w a 107. I know one guy who went 4,000 rounds with a 6 BR but the other two are likely half what a plain jane 308 will do.

For $325 I should not complain about cost of a barrel and a notebook to log the shots. Cheaper than golf.

My barrel is 26". I'm hoping for 3000 round till accuracy drops. I have room in the mag to chase lands as erosion occurs.
Scott

Back