Took a trip out to Whittington

Bbear

Beginner
Jan 13, 2015
A friend and myself took a trip up to Whittington Center over the weekend. Really enjoyed popping steel on the 500 m silhouette range and even took some shots at the white buffalo at 1123 yards.
Took me 4 shots to hit with one of my 25-06's, then figured just for grins, I'd shoot the 243 at it. Second shot hit.
Finally, pulled out my other 25-06 and set it up and let one go. Not only first shot-cold bore hit, but hit the 16" target to boot.
My friend inherited an old Marlin 36 in 30-30 and couldn't resist taking some shots out at 200 and 300 m on steel. He was hitting the 200 pretty regularly with those old iron sights and having a ball. He tried one of my rifles out at 500 m and hit his first shot. He looked at me with a big old grin on his face and said "I've got to get me a 'real' rifle and do this some more!". Looks like he's infected! :mrgreen: (y)

Cool! (y)

I've never been there. Next trip to the Southwest, I'll have to go.

Guy

Sounds like a great trip for each of you. Always glad to see others learning to enjoy the sport.

Nothing better than to ring steel at long range.
Some day I hope to make it to Whittington.
It usually takes 2-3 days for the constant grin to fade on a newbie shooting steel at long range. :mrgreen:

JD338

Longer ranges is FUN!
Have your buddy look at something in the 6.5 lineup if he wants to go long without a lot of recoil.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince":1zzdcxwy said:
Longer ranges is FUN!
Have your buddy look at something in the 6.5 lineup if he wants to go long without a lot of recoil.

Vince

Already tormenting him with the 6.5x55 I have off at Pac-nor. He liked my 25-06's and the 243.
The 264 WM came as a bit of a surprise to him though :grin:

Back