Shooting with my 17yo daughter

Dr. Vette

Handloader
Apr 16, 2012
My 17yo daughter was going to go shooting with us late last week, but plans changed and other things happened instead. I had today off, and she wanted to go, so... as my wife said, she won't be wanting to go shooting with me all the time, so best to take advantage of it.

We had 4 rifles (243, 270, 270, 7mm Rem Mag) and my 243 Contender pistol along. Katie got a chance to shoot all of them, though declined a chance to shoot the pistol. It was quite wet in the area we usually go, so no close targets today. In addition, it has greened up enough that I didn't have a chance to put one at 500.

The round target was 340 yards, the square at 470. We took turns, and learned a bit about the various rifles at that distance. Two were in fine form, and the other two need some verification with my chrono before doing much longer range work. Katie ended her turn shooting two shots on top of each other with the 243 at 470 yards, so I'm not too worried about her ability. (y)

Hitting the 340 yard target with a Contender using a BDC style reticle was fun!

Attachments

• IMG_4678.JPG
    IMG_4678.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,770
  • IMG_4676.JPG
    IMG_4676.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,770
Congratulations on having a daughter who wants to shoot with her dad. You are correct that if she is stacking them with the .243, when the need arises, she will put the bullets where they need to be. Congratulations to Katie.

Sounds like and looks like you have her headed in the right direction.
Good shooting Katie.

Dr. Vette, it looks like your Katie is a natural and should have no trouble knocking down a animal with the 243win (y).
It is so good to keep our young interested in the shooting sports and Dad time is priceless (y).
Thanks for the post with photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Back