A study in trigger control ..... or lack thereof

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
So went out to the range yesterday to check the zero on my "mooseberg" slug gun before the everbody 's at the range" season starts. Jeepers I hate shooting that slug gun, but the scope is where I left it. Thanks Leupold!!! Big holes in the target are shots 1,2,3. First is closest to the bull, and proceeding out from there. Man that hurts. Torn cuff, nerve damage and loss of muscle mass is really starting to mess with me. Shooting from my mobile ground blind (car window) makes the 12 ga. a handful. Anyway, just so I don't pick up a REALLY bad flinch I finish of with some rounds from the 22 Mag. group on the left is from some Remington premier's, which I used to think were my most accurate round. Group on the right is Hornady V-Max. Now for the study.... notice that each group is opposite of the bull, one on the right and one on the left. Next that I have three shots in each group you could cover with a dime, and that the "flyers" are on opposite sides of each group. remember, two kinds of ammo, very similar groups but "reversed". Shot one group right after the other, slow. However if the barrel was walking you would think the second group (right) would open up more. Not so. Hmmmm.... so my theory is that I was "pushing or pulling" the rifle depending on which side of the target I was shooting at. Just thought it was interesting...and probably indicative of "technique" not equipment. Still happy with those groups. All shooting was done with a sand bag rest at 100 yards.
Hornady

Remington

Slugs 100yards

CL, shoulder injuries are not fun & then shooting a 12 guage with slugs surely would be a test :eek:.
Hope it all works out for you this fall (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back