Bullet Weight

old_school_guy

Beginner
Jan 8, 2017
Which weight bullet would you prefer shooting Whitetails from a 7mm Rem Mag at 300-400 yards? Also, would you prefer the Ballistic Tip or Accu-Bond? I'm leaning towards the 150 gr thinking that maybe the wind wouldn't effect it as much as a 140 gr. But, the 150 is going to drop more due to it being heavier and will be traveling slower on impact. I've just acquired a Gen 1 Remington Sendero in 7mm Rem Mag with a 26" barrel and want to work up a load for it. I want to start trying some 300-400 yard shots on deer because we have power lines and huge clear cuts on some of our properties. I regularly kill them out to 200 with another 7mm mag I have (24" barrel) using 150 grain Ballistic Tips on top of 62.5 grs of IMR-4350, muzzle velocity is 2950. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

The 150 gr BT is more than adequate for deer at 300-400 yards.
The 150 gr ABLR has done a fantastic job on WT out to 400 yards from my 280 AI
And would be a stellar bullet in your 7 Mag. The 160 gr AB is yet another excellent choice.

JD338

The Sendero is an excellent rifle. I worked up loads for several that were chambered in 7 RM. I'd likely go with a 140 grain bullet and never look back. I can't imagine that at longer yardages, your choice of bullets will make a great deal of difference. I'd likely go with the AccuBond if it gave me reasonable accuracy, primarily because I'd be concerned about that one shot up close and want a bullet that will maintain integrity at a high velocity impact. There is nothing wrong with the 150 grain; however, if I was going to go heavier, I'd lean toward the 160 grain AccuBond. Don't overlook the 150 grain ABLR. I used that bullet in my 280 Rem to tag a nice mule deer and a beautiful elk. Both were shot at relatively close range (~30 yards and ~75 yards). The bullet performed flawlessly in either instance.

I currently shoot the 168 VLD Berger Hunt bullet out of my 7 mm Rem Mag. I use RL 25 and velocity is 3,050 fps and should give enough energy out to 400 yards and beyond. I used to use the 140 AccuBond and 140 VLD at 3,250 to 3,280 fps. They all shot well for me, no complaints. I am sure the 140 -150 Ballistic Tips or Accubonds work well for you at the distance you plan to use it for.

Since you already have a lighter load in another rifle that is more than sufficient for the intended animal, I would opt for the 160 gr AB for the higher BC which carries better after 300 yards in your identified shooting environment, and will drop less and penetrate better the further out you go past 400 yards. Also, it will be better suited should you decide to hunt larger game such as elk with this rifle. Makes a better all-around performer.

Blkram":u7fkutyy said:
Since you already have a lighter load in another rifle that is more than sufficient for the intended animal, I would opt for the 160 gr AB for the higher BC which carries better after 300 yards in your identified shooting environment, and will drop less and penetrate better the further out you go past 400 yards. Also, it will be better suited should you decide to hunt larger game such as elk with this rifle. Makes a better all-around performer.

Lots of good options given but I'm with Blkram, 160 AccuBond would be my choice for reasons above.

Both are good bullets, and the 7mm Rem mag can sling 'em with authority.

Try each, and see which one your rifle prefers?

JD338 has done a lot of whitetail killin' - often at extended range, with his .280 AI, which produces very similar velocity to a typical 7mm Rem mag.

For deer, I'd go with a Ballistic Tip every time. No need for the AccuBond. All it does is hang together better, which is wonderful on something big & strong... But deer? I'd go with the Ballistic Tip and put 'em down FAST.

Now, if you're considering elk someday... Ya, the heavier weight, or the AccuBond deserve more attention.

For a target velocity... I clocked factory Remington 140 grain ammo at 3225 fps from a 24" Remington rifle. I'd think that's something most rifles could reach with good handloading.

The Sendero (I had one in 7mm Rem mag) is capable of excellent accuracy. Should have never sold mine.

Regards, Guy

My oldest son and I have been shooting deer and hogs with the 150 LRAB’s out of 280AI for 3 years. My youngest son has been using 120 BT in 7-08 for the same time.

We are all switching back to Std AccuBond this year due to lack of pass through and no blood trail.

Dad used 130 Gr Speers exclusively in his 7-Mag. When/if I run out of his reloads it will be 120 Gr BT's. 140's if you think its needed. CL

There is something to be said about one bullet that can do it all. For me that bullet is the 160gr AccuBond. It is an easy bullet to tune and does a great job on game without causing excessive meat loss. I've shot many whitetails and only recovered one bullet that was lodged in a spine. All of the deer dropped quickly, some on the spot.
I took a number of the deer at 400+yds. Bullet expansion was still good even on NC whitetails which aren't very big.
The largest animal I took with the 160AB was a 450lb Red Stag. Shot through the shoulder, the stag dropped immediately and never moved.

When preparing a M70 7mm Rem for a back up rifle last fall for Elk I was directed to the 160AB running at or around 3000fps out of a 26" barrel.
I sighted my rifle to shoot 3" high at 100yds here on the east coast, got to Montana with an elevation starting at 6200' and fired 3 shots to verify my zero, 100yds 3" high just like it was when I left home. I then shot 3 more, 1 at 200yds, 1 at 300yds and one at 400yds. I had 1 shot hits at all three targets with no sight adjustment. Targets were 12" steel gongs.
One bullet for everything will do if you choose the right one.
Like quite a few here say the 160gr 7mm AB can't be beat.

Back