first time past 1000

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I got out yesterday with the 338 lapua to try out the long range spot I found . Thursday we got about 10" of snow . yesterday it was 50* , the snow was all but gone and very windy . I didn't think about how soft and mushy the ground was going to be until I got there . the ground was pretty firm at 600 yard . I had a hard time using the bipod at 787 yards and 1070 yards , it kept sinking . I found a couple small rocks to put under my bipod legs , but then it was hard to preload because I would push it off the rocks . I still had a good time and learned I need to sharpen up on my wind reading .it was a right to left wind , and I didn't come close to correcting enough for it . I shot 3 shots at 614yards the rifle was clean so I wanted to see if the cold clean bbl grouped with the other two . then I was going to shoot 2 shots at each distance and work my way back to 1600 yards . I shot two at 787 yards . while moving to 1000 yards it started to rain . 1000 yards is in a bit of a dip and it was swampy , so I went to 1070 shot 2 packed up and came home . 1070 yards was thick gooey yellow clay mud , I really had a hard time trying to get just a little bit solid on the bipod even with rocks under the legs .

I made a template and put three targets on one cardboard . my white paint stopped spraying , so I used ford blue .

bottom is 614 yards , 2.5" group , about 12" left of center .

middle is 787 yards , 3 3/4 " , about 13" left of center

top is 1070 yards , 12.5" between the two holes , about 10 - 12 " left .

Outstanding l Jim, you did great. I bet if you take away the wind and soupy ground those will tighten significantly. When I have mud or wet conditions to shoot from. I lay down a 12 X 24 piece of plywood on the ground to help forearm stability, and also shoot from a shooting mat.

Excellent results for a first try! Congratulations. Good to see the results.

That looks Dang good to me Jim considering the conditions you were shooting under. The big 338 is getting it done.

Sounds like a good training day. Lessons learned could save a hunt someday and you didn't get your rig stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent shooting Jim, especially in bad shooting conditions, I can imagine what better shooting conditions will bring. (y)

thanks fellas , I learned a few things . now I need dry ground and practice .

Looking good! Looks like your dope was dead nuts for elevation too! That's always comforting! What Bullets are you flinging?

.300winmag":1aa0cp57 said:
Looking good! Looks like your dope was dead nuts for elevation too! That's always comforting! What Bullets are you flinging?

Thanks , I'm using the dope from my G7BR2 range finder . it looks like these are going to work together . I'm shooting the 300 gr Berger elite hunter bullets .

Jim that is some great marksmanship(y). Thank you for the post and photographs.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1s9sslab said:
Jim that is some great marksmanship(y). Thank you for the post and photographs.

Blessings,
Dan

Thank you Dan , I feel I've got a decent load , and a capable rifle . now I need to work on the hard part , me the shooter . Jim

jimbires":2ih1wbty said:
.300winmag":2ih1wbty said:

Thanks , I'm using the dope from my G7BR2 range finder . it looks like these are going to work together . I'm shooting the 300 gr Berger elite hunter bullets .

Great combo with the G7 and the Bergers in the Lapua! Nice job, again!

thanks E . I'm having a good time shooting at these longer distances . that wind can be tricky stuff . the 550 yard range I've been using had trees along both sides , and kind of blocked the wind . I just didn't realize how much the trees affected the wind there . this new place I'm using is pretty open , and gets a lot of wind . the wind swirls and changes directions down range . I've already seen 3 different winds inside 1000 yards . I had 3 rounds I wanted to shoot so I went out last weekend and shot these 3 from around 850 yards . I had 2 atta boys , the wind changed , and I shot 1 what ta heck . I think this is going to be a tricky place to shoot , but will teach me to watch the wind .

850 yards , ata boys !

850 yards , WTH? as Paul Harvey would say , now you know the rest of the story . HA

today two shots from 1109 yards . one would be a clean cold bbl . the other is the one I had a case head separation on . I'm guessing the lower one was the case head separation shot . I dialed 26.0 elevation 1.0 right windage . I had a steady right to left wind at about 3 - 5 MPH

Back