Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:09 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long range cartridges
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:36 pm 

Over the years I have played around with longer range shooting. Starting out with larger and larger cartridges. Velocity and horsepower seemed the only way to be able to shoot farther. Cartridges like the 7mm mag, 300 win, 300 RUM, and 338 RUM.

All this horsepower came at a cost, recoil and muzzle blast. It was very difficult to manage all that recoil while still maintaining good trigger control and accuracy.

Then good optics and efficient smaller cartridges and high BC bullets came around. This has totally changed my long range shooting. Suddenly you didn’t need all that horsepower. scopes with repeatable accurate adjustments and reticles that allowed range estimation and holdover points. Suppressors and purpose designed, adjustable stocks, replacing loud muzzle breaks and poorly adjusted hunting stocks. It got a whole lot easier to shoot at longer ranges.

My current cartridge choices are 22 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, 260 rem, and 308 win. The 22 creedmoor is the newest one I’ve been shooting.

The 22 creedmoor using 95gr SMK at 3085fps. It’s shoots as flat with less wind drift than any of the big boomers I previously used. No recoil and very minimal muzzle blast.

It’s pretty impressive times we are living in.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Long range cartridges
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:22 pm 

It all depend on the application. Small diameter cartridge like you mentioned here are all great at ranges 1000 yards or less for paper punching. It's even less if the target bleeds. I compete at Extreme Long Range shooting. In this discipline, size and horsepower reign supreme.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm 

I was specifically speaking to long range shooting, not hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:35 pm 

Thebear_78 wrote:
I was specifically speaking to long range shooting, not hunting.

Ya, so was Desert Fox. :grin: He's shooting really crazy long ranges in competition, and it seems most of the competitors are using pretty doggone big cartridges.

I'm messing with a 6mm Creedmoor (NOT the 6.5) now and enjoying it. Have only taken it to 600 yet, but am sure it will prove to be a worthy 1,000 yard cartridge and... If I can, I'll stretch that range some.

That little 108 gr Hornady ELD-M bullet is pretty slick, and now the 110 gr ATip Hornady is avail... I honestly haven't even chronographed the 6 Creedmoor yet, but it's hitting nicely at 600, where Strelok predicted for a MV of 2960 fps. Probably close to that, and I'm not loading at max yet either.

Good stuff. I'd thought about using that Ruger Precision Rifle for the PRS series, but... I think it's just becoming a longish range toy rifle for my own entertainment instead.

Regards, Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:03 pm 

building the one to the right currently! Pictured case before fire forming

Weatherby...There is no replacement for displacement!

My blog. Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:30 pm 

I started shooting out to 500 yards last summer, which is long range for around here lol. This summer I have stretched it out to 984 with great luck. That wind though, it can be a humbling experience lol. I have only shot the 6.5 CM at longer ranges at steel targets. When it come to deer I prefer them to me close enough to get burned from the muzzle

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:09 pm 

Nearly 1,000 yards! Excellent.

Yes, elevation is simple. Wind... That's the bugaboo.

Hang in there.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:24 pm 

Yah that 22 creed is impressive, but you're not mentioning the fact it's a barrel eater and throat burner that goes south after 1000 rounds. Either way you look at it, there's no freebies. LR performance always comes at some price...Plus it's still lacking in the wind bucking department, which is your biggest factor in LR shooting, not elevation.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:29 pm 

Give me a 6.5 or 7mm of whatever flavor in at least an 06' base case and itll do all 3, shoot a long ways, kill a long ways, and you still have twice to three times the barrel life. They do make muzzle brakes for recoil also, so that's a dismal point these days. My 15# 7-300 win mag with a 162g amax at 3175fps and a 4 port brake kicks like my 12# 223 varmint rifle...spot my own shots with the 20x leupold and could shoot it all day if I wanted.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:35 pm 

Well the accompanying chart shows how it stacks up with wind drift, looks pretty good. I also stated not for hunting so the bleeding target comment isn’t really pertinent. I’m also betting your 7-300 win isn’t going to win any longevity records with barrel life. Barrels are perishable items, replacing them is just a part of the game if you shoot enough.

There are a great many excellent long range cartridges big and small that run the hammer from paper punchers go big game cartridges. I’m not sure why the 22 creedmoor is so offensive to you. No matter what you stack onto the end of your 300 it will never recoil less than the 22 creedmoor.

I suggest you shoot what you enjoy. I enjoy my little 22 creedmoor.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:53 pm 

It's not offensive, it's just a barrel burner. My 7-300 will last almost twice as long. I wouldn't shoot a cartridge strictly for paper at LR with 1000rds of barrel life, when there is better, that's all. It does beat those other rounds in wind for the simple fact it has the velocity to go with the BC...but again, it's done in a 1000 rounds.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:59 pm 

I’ve only got 700 rounds thru my 22 creedmoor but I have a buddy who uses one as his long range coyote rifle. At last count he was at 1200+ rounds using 75-88gr bullets. Still going strong. It won’t bother me a bit if I only get 1000-1200 rounds out of this one, if I do then that means I’m getting out there and shooting, win win.

The beauty of choice is we can each build and shoot whatever strikes our fancy.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:23 pm 

Agreed. I've played with the idea of rebarreling my 223 to a 223AI with a 26-28" 8 twist to shoot the 80g eldms as a cheap 1K plinker that will last thousands of rounds. Just haven't done it yet. It's nothing special but will reach 1K fairly easy, just the wind you gotta deal with at that point.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 am 

When I built my 22 CM I went with a Proof Research barrel because I wanted to keep the weight down a bit and I figured it would last me 5 years....but as much as I enjoy shooting it, I'll have 1,400 rounds down it in a 2 year time span. I've never enjoyed shooting a rifle as much as I have this one. I can reach out to the 1,200 yard gong pretty easy. My next barrel will not be a carbon barrel. It doesn't make sense to me to replace it every two years with such a costly barrel. I figure the more I shoot it the better shooter I'm becoming and the more barrel life I'm saving on my larger hunting rounds. If I was putting the same number of rounds down the range to hone my skills with my bigger hunting rifles, I figure I'm saving enough in components to pay for the barrel in two years. The 22CM loaded with a 95 SMK is burning half the powder of the 28N or 338 RUM, bullet cost is half, and it is so much more fun to shoot. I mainly play at the range with it, but it also has 4 deer and around 12 coyotes on it in a year, it's pretty versatile, and just flat out fun. Could a 6.5CM run a barrel longer and be just as accurate, absolutely. But it will never scratch my need for speed.

Funny how we all justify things to ourselves.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS