the weekend shoot .

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I was at my long range spot working on a load for my 7mm mashburn early spring this year . a pick up came into view so I stopped shooting . the truck was making it's way to me . I though great , the ground must have been sold and I'm getting the boot . a young fella gets out and starts talking guns and shooting . tells me about an area he and his Dad have set up that goes out to about 900 yards . I told him I can get 1600 here , but I keep getting interrupted . he tells me his place is back in a ways , and seldom see anyone . he gives me his name and number . it took me a couple months before I called him , I had a project going on at Mom's house I had to finish . we finally get hooked up . by now they have moved to another spot , and have a dandy range set up . it's a long range shooters playground . targets from 800 - 1600 yards . we are against a coal stripping job , that will be finished and backfilled this fall . when this is backfilled I think we can get 2800 - 2900 yards . we found a place we shot 2045 from a few weeks ago . last weekend we found a place to shoot 2375 . since we have been shooting 2000+ yards we put a bigger target ( 34" square ) beside the 1600 target (24"square) for the longer shots . here are a few pics .since I've taken the 800 - 1600 picture , we've added targets at 1090 , 1190 , 1240

P8300943_LI.jpg

P8300939.JPG

P8300938.JPG

P8300932.JPG

P8010911_LI (2).jpg

P8010910_LI (2).jpg

jimbires":3uisy4e8 said:
I was at my long range spot working on a load for my 7mm mashburn early spring this year . a pick up came into view so I stopped shooting . the truck was making it's way to me . I though great , the ground must have been sold and I'm getting the boot . a young fella gets out and starts talking guns and shooting . tells me about an area he and his Dad have set up that goes out to about 900 yards . I told him I can get 1600 here , but I keep getting interrupted . he tells me his place is back in a ways , and seldom see anyone . he gives me his name and number . it took me a couple months before I called him , I had a project going on at Mom's house I had to finish . we finally get hooked up . by now they have moved to another spot , and have a dandy range set up . it's a long range shooters playground . targets from 800 - 1600 yards . we are against a coal stripping job , that will be finished and backfilled this fall . when this is backfilled I think we can get 2800 - 2900 yards . we found a place we shot 2045 from a few weeks ago . last weekend we found a place to shoot 2375 . since we have been shooting 2000+ yards we put a bigger target ( 34" square ) beside the 1600 target (24"square) for the longer shots . here are a few pics .since I've taken the 800 - 1600 picture , we've added targets at 1090 , 1190 , 1240

View attachment 1

View attachment 2

View attachment 3

View attachment 4

View attachment 5

Holy smokes is that cool! What’re you all using Jim, to reach out there? That’s very impressive stuff buddy!

Scotty , the pic with the 4 rifles . mine is the one pointed the opposite way . it's a stiller tac 338 action , jewel trigger , 30" 10 twist BBL , McMillan A5 stock , NXS 8-32x56 scope , chambered in 338 lapua . I'm shooting 300gr Berger bullets , RL33 @ 102.5 gr , FED 215 , lapua brass . I was getting 2939 FPS with my last 8 pounder of powder , in the heat around 90* - 95* . I just got into my new lot of powder , and the outside temp has dropped at the same time . I'm not sure if RL33 is this temp sensitive ( it never seemed to be ) , or if it's a combo of the new powder lot , and the temp cooling off ,my velocity today was 2844 FPS at around 70* . I really screwed up , I should have saved a little of the old powder so I could test with it . right now I could load 5 of the old powder , shoot over the chrony and know what is going on .

the chassis rifle nearest in the pic , is a 6.5 creedmore , bartlein bbl , it's a rem action , has a vortex golden eagle scope . he shoots factory hornady ammo .

the middle rifle is a ruger precision rifle in 300 PRC , athalon scope , only upgrade is a trigger , I think they said a timney .

the rear rifle is a savage , 30"bbl , athalon scope , he replaced the factory brake with a terminator , I put a trigger in it for him . he's using RL33 with 300 gr bergers . he is going to try the hornady
285 A-tips to see how they work .

the guy shooting under the EZ up in the blue shirt , is shooting a 243 , rem action , nikon scope ,looks to be a bell and carlson stock . he shoots 95gr bergers .

I have one of the rifles here at home . I'm going to bed the scope rail on and add some MOA to it . it's a 6.5 PRC browning X-bolt . he has a vortex scope that took a crap , so he is out of business for a little while .

the guy with the 243 , and the guy with the 6.5 prc are trying to buy savage rifles identical to the one in the pic . I guess they are about impossible to get right now . the third time I shot with these guys the other lapua showed up . now there's 2 more on order . HA HA

the little guns just won't shoot with the big guns . the 6.5 creed struggles at 1600 , the 6.5 prc does well at 1600 , except for the wind . on a calm day it holds it's own . the 243 usually doesn't shoot past 1200 .

they are a great bunch of guys , I'm glad they found me .

jimbires":1n98nnf2 said:
Scotty , the pic with the 4 rifles . mine is the one pointed the opposite way . it's a stiller tac 338 action , jewel trigger , 30" 10 twist BBL , McMillan A5 stock , NXS 8-32x56 scope , chambered in 338 lapua . I'm shooting 300gr Berger bullets , RL33 @ 102.5 gr , FED 215 , lapua brass . I was getting 2939 FPS with my last 8 pounder of powder , in the heat around 90* - 95* . I just got into my new lot of powder , and the outside temp has dropped at the same time . I'm not sure if RL33 is this temp sensitive ( it never seemed to be ) , or if it's a combo of the new powder lot , and the temp cooling off ,my velocity today was 2844 FPS at around 70* . I really screwed up , I should have saved a little of the old powder so I could test with it . right now I could load 5 of the old powder , shoot over the chrony and know what is going on .

the chassis rifle nearest in the pic , is a 6.5 creedmore , bartlein bbl , it's a rem action , has a vortex golden eagle scope . he shoots factory hornady ammo .

the middle rifle is a ruger precision rifle in 300 PRC , athalon scope , only upgrade is a trigger , I think they said a timney .

the rear rifle is a savage , 30"bbl , athalon scope , he replaced the factory brake with a terminator , I put a trigger in it for him . he's using RL33 with 300 gr bergers . he is going to try the hornady

the guy shooting under the EZ up in the blue shirt , is shooting a 243 , rem action , nikon scope ,looks to be a bell and carlson stock . he shoots 95gr bergers .

I have one of the rifles here at home . I'm going to bed the scope rail on and add some MOA to it . it's a 6.5 PRC browning X-bolt . he has a vortex scope that took a crap , so he is out of business for a little while .

the guy with the 243 , and the guy with the 6.5 prc are trying to buy savage rifles identical to the one in the pic . I guess they are about impossible to get right now . the third time I shot with these guys the other lapua showed up . now there's 2 more on order . HA HA

the little guns just won't shoot with the big guns . the 6.5 creed struggles at 1600 , the 6.5 prc does well at 1600 , except for the wind . on a calm day it holds it's own . the 243 usually doesn't shoot past 1200 .

That is too cool Jim! Dang man, now that’s the way to spend a day!

Very nice set up Jim. Your getting some great speed with your 338 Lapua. Have you looked at the 265 gr ABLR?

JD338

JD338":3uqiipgv said:
Very nice set up Jim. Your getting some great speed with your 338 Lapua. Have you looked at the 265 gr ABLR?

JD338

JD , it does make good velocity with RL33 . I have shot in 95*+ temps without problems , I know I'm pushing the pressure limit . I have not looked at the 265 ABLR .to tell you the truth I forgot about it , but I'll give it a look . I have been thinking about trying the Nosler RDF bullet . I haven't seen a BC or recommended twist listed for it though . I need to do some bullet research . shooting this far is all about cheating the wind .

SJB358":38w76bqx said:
jimbires":38w76bqx said:

That is too cool Jim! Dang man, now that’s the way to spend a day!

it's a lot of fun .

I'm looking for a bigger rangefinder , I out grew my sig 2400abs in a couple months .

another pic . standing at the 1600 yard shooting line , looking towards the 2375 shooting line

the dirt piles are changing from week to week while the strip job is finishing up .

Ed brought a 30/30 magnum research revolver for us to play with . put up this target at about 50 or 75 yards .

P8300937.JPG

wvbuckbuster":3799zw8j said:
Looks like you fell in with the right bunch of fellas. Interesting rifles and info. Dan.

Dan , it's a lot of fun .

guys , we'll probably be shooting at least 2 days this labor day weekend . if anyone wants to join in on the fun , let me know . closest town would be , Osceola Mills Pa 16666

rough day at the office today , the wind was the winner . probably a 10 mph constant with gusts to 20 or 25 . but always changing directions . I don't think we got a hit at 1600 yards . we mostly shot at the 800 - 1050 targets . still a fun day .

P8300942_LI.jpg

jimbires":6b0adyqu said:
JD338":6b0adyqu said:

JD338

JD , it does make good velocity with RL33 . I have shot in 95*+ temps without problems , I know I'm pushing the pressure limit . I have not looked at the 265 ABLR .to tell you the truth I forgot about it , but I'll give it a look . I have been thinking about trying the Nosler RDF bullet . I haven't seen a BC or recommended twist listed for it though . I need to do some bullet research . shooting this far is all about cheating the wind .
Jim,

You are right about the wind. If Nosler will ever get the new (2019) 300 gr ABLR produced, it would be a good one for what you are doing.

JD338

JD338":1tjzlfix said:
jimbires":1tjzlfix said:
JD338":1tjzlfix said:

JD338

Jim,

You are right about the wind. If Nosler will ever get the new (2019) 300 gr ABLR produced, it would be a good one for what you are doing.

JD338

thanks JD , I'll keep an eye out for those .

the coal strip job has finished up and back filled . there is still some dozers and other equipment there but the job is finished . when they backfilled they disturbed our firing line . we found a new place to shoot from . we can get 600 - 2000 from this spot . we put some gravel down ,we're getting it fixed up . we won't get 2 miles though . the twists and turn driving back in , I thought we would . I'll say about 2800 , the way it looks now . there are a few places we might be able to place a target that's longer , but we want some hill behind it for safety . it was raining this morning , so I took a few pics .

P7180150_LI.jpg

P7180151_LI.jpg

P7180162.JPG

P7180163.JPG

Back