in my back yard

JD , that looks beautiful , and sounds like a fantastic place . holly cow , nothing like acorn flats and water for deer country . being surrounded by farms is icing on the cake .

jimbires":a74gd7th said:
I do like Rodger just mentioned . I keep a little plowed so the grass shows up after a warm day or two . I just got done plowing again . I need to keep a way into the backyard so I can get my small utility trailer in and out . I've been heating with mostly coal the past couple years , and need to get a load about every 3 weeks . so plowing the yard is two fold . around Christmas we got a snow of about 15 or 20 inches , I plowed out the yard . a few days later we had a very windy couple days . the deer came in and bedded in my plowed paths , with their backs to the wind . the sides of the paths was high enough to keep the wind off them . it was neat to see this . I do throw some corn , but also a lot of cooking scrap . potato peelings , strawberry peelings , carrots , like anything that would be grown in a garden . deer are opportunists . right now it's got to be tough finding feed . we had probably 6 or 8 inches of snow on the ground , then we got a bunch of sleet and freezing rain . we now have about 5 or so inches of ice , a thin layer of snow , then a ice crust , covered with snow . the deer do look good , and we are supposed to have a decent week temperature wise hopefully some of this will melt away .
Jim living on the Southern Pa border we have been getting the same weather as you have just maybe a little less on quantity of snow but snow with freezing rain and sleet to crust over making it hard for the wild life to find food.
The deer have been bedding under a Norway spruce in my front yard during the night and feeding on the grass. It looks like a herd of cattle has run threw the yard.
Scraping clear spots is a must for all the wildlife to get food this time of year with the weather we have been having.
Just got 3 more inches of snow this mourning from the last flurry that blew threw so I'll be out cleaning snow later on this afternoon.

I had a bunch in last night . they have a path walked in and follow it . it's really impressive to see that trail about full of deer , this is less than half full . if one tries to take a short cut it gets a few steps then breaks through . the hill in the back ground is posted . that's where a lot of these come from . I used to hunt there before it was sold and posted .

two on the left have their ears down . they get to fighting at times .

P2210038.JPG

P2210033.JPG

Hopefully you will find a few sheds in the spring.

JD338

I've had a group of 4 bucks come in a couple times , right at dark . last night these two came in early enough for a pic . one looks like he could be decent come hunting season .

P6140101.JPG

P6140102.JPG

a few weeks ago , we had my sons dog for about 10 days . he found a shed in my field . he used it for a chew toy . I don't think I'd have found this little bugger , but he did .

P6150103.JPG

They are certainly comfortable in your yard. Great to see game such as that.

My wife saw 3 does with 3 fawns 10
Houses down the road. No pictures.

Was 4pm and kids playing nearby… quite tame!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

last evening I had a couple rifles out on the deck , checking the low light ability of the scopes . these couple doe hung around and gave me something to look at . another came in , but she kept moving .

P7090133.JPG

P7090134.JPG

had a nice group of deer in tonight . 6 bucks in this bunch , had another bunch in with 4 . the group of 4 were nice , probably about like the one at the tree looking back .

P8090186.JPG

P8090183.JPG

I was cutting grass , I put the mower away when it started to rain . the rain stopped and this flock of turkey came in . a couple days ago the flock that was in had more birds , the poults were considerably smaller than these , about the size of a grouse . the turkey come in to feed on the grasshoppers .

P8110197.JPG

P8110194.JPG

Very neat to watch the animals and the birds in proximity to human habitation. Clearly, these critters are quite adaptable. We have foxes, mule deer, black bear and moose that frequent our shooting range. It is not unheard of that shooting must be halted because animals are walking across the ranges. The moose are often seen resting up the hillside, at about a 700 yard mark, watching the shooting taking place on the 400 yard range. The foxes (especially the kits) can be seen frequently frolicking beneath the butts as bullets are impacting the targets. Cheeky little rascals. The black bear used to peek over the handgun berm. I suppose he was inspecting what the shooters were shooting. Them, he would go back to whatever it is that range bears normally do, out of sight and contented in the knowledge that he approved of whatever handgun was being used.

it sure is nice watching them . I probably spend more time looking out back than watching the tv .

Back