Moose, Eagle, Osprey on today's walk

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Dog and I took a 5.6 mile walk on this beautiful spring day, and wow, it's a good thing we brought the camera!

Normally we don't have moose right here in the area, but this one drifted in last August, swimming the mighty Columbia River. She's stayed at the north end of town, in the "Horan Natural Area" and also at Confluence State Park. It's right where the Wenatchee River empties into the Columbia. I hadn't seen her since last fall. She's BIGGER now! And Maverick the dog was quite impressed.
2MSFnYOh.jpg

Very near the moose, we found an eagle sunning itself over the Wenatchee River. A pair of eagles is on a nest in the city limits, two years in a row now. I believe that the fledgling has hatched too. :)
5my2vIFh.jpg

And of course our osprey have returned! They come "home" to Wenatchee during the first week of April, year after year
LypyRENh.jpg

Rh0ZuSMh.jpg

It was a very cool walk on a fine spring day today. :)

Guy

Fantastic pictures Guy. And all so close to town. I'm thinking this is the scenic route you were telling me about.

JD338

JD338":2wa3qzdl said:
Fantastic pictures Guy. And all so close to town. I'm thinking this is the scenic route you were telling me about.

JD338

This place is amazing... It's actually within the city limits! There is an urban/commercial area north of it, retail west of it, retail, commercial and residential south of it... Just a few acres of awesomeness set aside along the banks of the Wenatchee River and the Columbia River. Heck, I can walk there from my home if I've a mind to.

So glad our community set aside some areas to be free from development!

Guy

BTW - the internet "dumbs down" these photos.

They look a LOT better before I post 'em.

Guy

The moose appears to be suffering from ticks. She is rubbed. She made it through the winter and should plump up some now. Her ears are interesting. That is great photography to capture all that detail. Excellent shots of the eagle and the osprey.

DrMike":12xd4q73 said:
The moose appears to be suffering from ticks. She is rubbed. She made it through the winter and should plump up some now. Her ears are interesting. That is great photography to capture all that detail. Excellent shots of the eagle and the osprey.

LOTS of ticks there now. I carefully check the dog for them while we're walking and after our walks.

They'll thin out as the year goes on - but right now - they're bad! Lots of ticks.

Guy

Very well done, Guy. Wonderful pictures of some of the blessings that tend to be taken for granted. Thanks for sharing.
Duane

Gun nut":k4kaqv7u said:
Very well done, Guy. Wonderful pictures of some of the blessings that tend to be taken for granted. Thanks for sharing.
Duane

Glad you enjoy them. I like shooting with a camera too, not just with gun & bow.

Guy

Guy, you're comment reminded me of an incident that occurred many years ago and happened in front of me while I was sitting in a tree stand with a bow, overlooking a swamp with a brook. I had a nice buck approaching from my front and I was getting ready to draw when a second buck came in from my right. The second Buck went after the first one and a fight ensued. The Bucks totally ignored me and I hung my bow and pulled out my camera which always came with me. They really got into it and managed to knock one another down in the brook. The fight continued for about five minutes and I got some great shots. I never did draw my bow and it didn't make any difference. Nice memories.

Yup, in either 2014 or 2016 I was moving quietly towards a spot where I hoped to ambush a big mule deer. However, as I passed a small draw, I saw there were five lesser bucks, two were decent, and as I watched they started to fight.

Oh my goodness! It was quite a fight. Wish I'd had a good camera with me. No photos, no video, just a cool memory. Those guys fight hard!

But... I moved on after the fight, and went after the bigger buck. Got him too. (y)

Guy

Back