Small Birds, I'll start with Chukar

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Chukar, one of my favorite game birds, though I'd put pheasant at the top of my list. These birds inhabit steep and rugged terrain. Dog and I have walked many difficult miles for a shot or two at birds:

yofFbvLh.jpg

Guy

Yes, this is a pheasant, in a tree... I'd guess he was 20' up in that tree. Took the photo a couple of weeks ago, and I can't recall any other time when I've seen a pheasant up in a tree... He got startled when the dog and I were walking nearby, flushed. Flew up into the tree and tried to hide... :grin:

VHpGIoXh.jpg

Pheasants - I've been hunting them since I was 10 or so, which was over 50 years ago. Love to hunt them! This one I was only hunting with my camera.

Guy

I find the "little birds" difficult to photograph well. They are so quick! Smallish, fast, seldom pause more than a few seconds. But, I keep trying and bit by bit I'm getting some decent photos of small birds. These were taken while walking the dog near the Columbia River:

A goldfinch:
EbABKHIh.jpg

Downy Woodpecker:
WzW7pmqh.jpg

Hmm, going to have to look this one up in my bird book, I've forgotten. Perched on some nice looking bitterbrush though. Excellent winter feed for the mule deer:
Ru8Nd5zh.jpg

Flicker, another woodpecker:
RQhXDENh.jpg

And some yard birds. All these photos were taken in my front yard. I put a bird feeder in the birch tree, and put a couple of houses up on the front porch for the house sparrows. My handloading, fly tying, gun-tinkering room is upstairs. I just open up the window and watch time to time while I'm up there, and sometimes get some decent bird photos:

A front-yard flicker:
qISBEMKh.jpg

House sparrow I believe. Some of the little birds confuse me re their identity, but I believe this is one of our resident house sparrows, perched on a birch. So to speak. The white blur in the background is a snow covered mountain:
1WLw2rfh.jpg

I put a cage around my bird feeder, to inhibit the starlings. I don't care much for their bullying antics. They have a tough time getting the food now, but the little birds slip right inside the cage and eat their fill:
0fQEC9kh.jpg

1hkekssh.jpg

Lovely photos of the avian types about you. The cage idea is interesting. That is something I may have to try. It isn't starlings here, but magpies that are the bullies. The chukar is such a lovely bird. I've only seen them in the Fraser Canyon when I was down there hunting sheep with Blkram some years ago. They sure do inhabit some rough country.

Beautiful subjects and photography Guy.. Thanks for sharing. This morning I had an avian experience of a different type. We have a large flowering crab tree, which the birds like to perch in.
It is adjacent to the north side of our house where I like to park my truck. Recently, much to my displeasure, I have found bird droppings on the both side rear view mirrors. While washing my truck standing on the driver side one of the culprits, a large Robin, appeared perched on the passenger side rear view mirror. Upon seeing me it made a hasty exit, not to be seen again. I have decided to park my truck in a slightly different area of the yard to see if the Robin follows or problem solved.
Guy, I apologize for hijacking your story. Rol

Ha! I enjoyed your story about washing the truck.

By the way, my Jeep is thoroughly filthy right now. Care to come over and wash it? Only about 2800 miles one way I think. :grin:

I should wash the Jeep this afternoon. Yes, that's a fine idea. I think there's a u-joint ratting a bit too... Something is rattling. I better crawl under to find out what it is before it leaves me stranded someplace.

Back to birds - I am enjoying the heck out of watching them, and trying for decent photos. Sometimes I take an awful lot of mediocre photos to get one or two good ones.

Here's a red-winged blackbird, being awfully noisy:
iDQfITSh.jpg

Guy

Keep it coming. One of the reasons I enjoy spring so much is the return of all the color especially the birds. I have a few Orioles around the house jockeying for turf rights here. Always a slew of Cardinals,Goldfinches,Sparrows, Purple and House Finches. A couple of Rose breasted Grosbeaks and I’m still waiting for the return of a blue bird or indigo bunting. Only obnoxious Blue Jays represent that color right now. I’ll be happy to see the Swallows and Purple Martens too. They remind me of those old Korean War era fighters.

Thanks all. Here's a Western Kingbird. Photo taken this morning while on a 6+ mile walk with Maverick the Bird Dog:

s9RV8odh.jpg

Maverick and I are both fascinated by birds. :grin:

Guy

CL - I like that cardinal! (y)

This morning the dog and I walked 7.5 miles and gained 1,300+ ft. Along the way we saw bunnies, marmots, chukar, quail, and a variety of other birds. I managed a few photos:

Meadowlark - dang he was noisy!

NUBse6qh.jpg

And a Bullocks Oriole, I couldn't approach him very closely:

nY7sqa3h.jpg

Love the meadowlark. The western meadowlark is the Kansas state bird. I always loved them, in no small measure because they were a symbol of my natal home. Excellent pictures, as always.

Really nice photos Guy! I eally like the Chukar and the Meadow Lark. What lens are you using. I have only tried photographing birds a couple of times but usually not close enough for my 300mm+1.4TC.

Bruce

My only bird photos. If I had been a few seconds quicker, the first one would have been the pair copulating. First time I have ever witnessed it in the wild (in my front yard no less).

49905225528_664c421e16_c.jpg

49906042442_070b85716b_c.jpg

Yes, really nice! Love the detail on those quail. Sharp photos!

Found the meadowlark again this morning:

blhc0jbh.jpg

Guy

Love those Meadow Larks! Makes me more home sick. They are my "ring tone". Great photos. CL

Really a big bird, and I wish I was closer and didn't have to crop so much, but they turned out pretty decent.

49975753941_8933c214f6_c.jpg

49975753881_0452b5b1e5_c.jpg

49975238153_1667dff04c_c.jpg

And the money shot...

49975238013_791f6be132_c.jpg

Goldfinch, Washington's state bird. Photographed yesterday while walking the dog:

b6Rw7luh.jpg

Back