Heron & Mergansers

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Columbia River, East Wenatchee, Washington, yesterday morning while walking the dog:

fxjvPRwl.jpg

They are stately birds as they stand waiting for their prey to dart past them. The strike of the bill is so fast as to be almost unbelievable. I saw them quite often along the Brunette River as I fished that stream in the Lower Mainland. Lovely photo, Guy. It captures the tranquility and anticipation of the scene.

Thank you.

The more I watch for the heron, the more of them I see, and I am learning more about that impressive bird. It's really something!

Friend of mine related a story of a local hawk and a heron which clashed about who's hunting territory it was. The heron apparently killed the hawk with one swift jab of that beak, right through the hawk's torso!

:shock:

He showed me photos he'd taken of their squabbles, and the dead hawk afterwards. I was impressed.

Guy

We see them here particularly in spring and fall, I'm guessing they migrate through here. Pretty impressive bird, they have a loud and raspy call too that can startle the unsuspecting person when you jump them at night with grizzlies all around ;)

Ha! That would get attention! Yes, they're pretty noisy sometimes. Big too.

Guy

Back