in my back yard

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
I had a nice view while eating supper tonight . 8 hen turkey were in the backyard , but made it to the field before I could get my camera . I also had 6 deer at the same time . I have deer in just about every night . turkey are not an everyday thing . I enjoy watching them

PA190990.JPG

PA190989.JPG

PA190987.JPG

PA190985.JPG

Excellent to live where the game roams in your backyard. Delightful pictures. (y)

we don't hunt here , Denise has most of the regulars named . I used to hunt across the road , but it was bought and posted a year ago . I had little patches here and there I'd archery hunt , to small for rifle hunting , these are all posted . now I'm a game lands hunter . I have had a few bucks in my field I'd have been happy to claim though . thanks fellas , I do enjoy watching them .

I thought you guys might enjoy a few pics .

the weather has been snowy lately , and the deer have been coming in .
P2020003 (1).JPG

had 30 in the other night
looking to the right
P2190030.JPG

looking straight ahead
P2190029.JPG

looking to the left
P2190028.JPG

Hmm, not seeing a bunch of birds , but the food is always gone .
P2070016.JPG

Delightful photos. They obviously are finding food that continues to draw them.

Excellent photos Jim. In the squirrel picture..in the pine tree to the right of the squirrel... is that a tire in The tree?

There is a bar in upper Michigan that has winter deer yards behind it. They installed picture windows and flood lights so people could enjoy the deer...
You got it in your back yard... very excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":1xhxfhgq said:
Excellent photos Jim. In the squirrel picture..in the pine tree to the right of the squirrel... is that a tire in The tree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes , that's my grandsons tire swing . :lol:

Very nice Jim. It certainly is fun for the entire family to watch the wildlife. We have a similar set up on 68 acres. We have a lot of deer, including some real brutes, turkey, eagle, hawks, owls, geese, ducks, coyotes and bobcats. All have been seen from the house. There are also a few bears in the area but we haven't seen any yet.
I've also got quite a few games cameras to keep an eye on things. Several pictures have been pretty amazing.

JD338

We have deer come into the yard most of the nights and have scraped the snow clear to get to the grass. They like to trim the rose bushes in front of the house also which is fine with me since I have to cut them back every year because they are fast growers.
For the smaller animals like birds I put out feeders that also attracts squirrels.
I took a tree limb about 4" in diameter and drilled 1" holes in it which I fill with a home made mixture of seed, cornmeal and crunchy peanut butter. This attracts blue birds by the dozen along with flickers and other types of wood peckers. I think I have had just about every variety of bird in the area on that log and they will empty it twice a day or more if I keep filling it and they go threw about 2lb of peanut butter a week plus seed which makes about 4lb of feed.
Picture taken with a cell phone threw the deck door.

Attachments

• KIMG0679.jpeg
    KIMG0679.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 1,935
We have deer come into the yard most of the nights and have scraped the snow clear to get to the grass. They like to trim the rose bushes in front of the house also which is fine with me since I have to cut them back every year because they are fast growers.
For the smaller animals like birds I put out feeders that also attracts squirrels.
I took a tree limb about 4" in diameter and drilled 1" holes in it which I fill with a home made mixture of seed, cornmeal and crunchy peanut butter. This attracts blue birds by the dozen along with flickers and other types of wood peckers. I think I have had just about every variety of bird in the area on that log and they will empty it twice a day or more if I keep filling it and they go threw about 2lb of peanut butter a week plus seed which makes about 4lb of feed.
Picture taken with a cell phone threw the deck door.

JD , it's amazing what comes in . I did have a few trail cams out , I was surprised . man I'd like to have 68 acres , I'd have a nice food plot set up . is your acreage right at your house ? that would be awesome .

I do like Rodger just mentioned . I keep a little plowed so the grass shows up after a warm day or two . I just got done plowing again . I need to keep a way into the backyard so I can get my small utility trailer in and out . I've been heating with mostly coal the past couple years , and need to get a load about every 3 weeks . so plowing the yard is two fold . around Christmas we got a snow of about 15 or 20 inches , I plowed out the yard . a few days later we had a very windy couple days . the deer came in and bedded in my plowed paths , with their backs to the wind . the sides of the paths was high enough to keep the wind off them . it was neat to see this . I do throw some corn , but also a lot of cooking scrap . potato peelings , strawberry peelings , carrots , like anything that would be grown in a garden . deer are opportunists . right now it's got to be tough finding feed . we had probably 6 or 8 inches of snow on the ground , then we got a bunch of sleet and freezing rain . we now have about 5 or so inches of ice , a thin layer of snow , then a ice crust , covered with snow . the deer do look good , and we are supposed to have a decent week temperature wise hopefully some of this will melt away .

Jim,
Yes we just built a house and 40x60 pole barn on the property. We have a creek going through the middle of the property. The head waters are on the north end along with a swamp. There is another swamp on the south end and another swamp along the west side of the creek. We also have a small marsh . The rest is hardwoods with a mix of conifers. These are some ridges that have white oaks. We are surrounded by agriculture, hay with alpha to the west and corn/soy beans north and south. We are truly blessed to have found Utopia here.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20191020_111736371(1).jpg
    IMG_20191020_111736371(1).jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1,899
Back