Cracking up at myself

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I balk at paying over $1k for a rifle.

Yet here I am looking hard at a $7,500 lens for my camera... Good grief.

Guy Miner":3okvktkr said:
I balk at paying over $1k for a rifle.

Yet here I am looking hard at a $7,500 lens for my camera... Good grief.
Hey! A man's got to have his priorities! [emoji38]

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Go for it Guy... With your talent and a great lens you could become a photographer for National Geographic and/or Smithsonian Institute and cover the cost of the lens quickly.. (y) :grin:
You deserve it, and speaking for other members, we enjoy your posts with photos.. Rol

Guy,
The rifle is the cheapest part, a really good scope is going to be $1-2k. Buy once, cry once and be done. As already mentioned, you have worked hard so get what you want/need. Don't comprise because you won't be happy and will end up spending more money getting what you wanted in the first place.
If I may ask, what lens are you considering?

JD338

Magazines would pay for your photos.

Google it.

Before the Internet there was a directory published in Jan every year.

In there it would have a list of every magazine buying pictures and what they would want and when...

It outdoor magazines know when they want backpack photos vs mule deer hunting..

I never got serious enough to do it, but I never had pictures as dramatic as yours... you’re really doing great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Olympus OM-D camera quit working yesterday. It was fine... Then it wasn't. Won't focus anymore.

Fortunately I have a backup Olympus camera of lesser ability, that accepts the same Zuiko lenses, so it's all set up and ready to go now.

If I can troubleshoot and fix it myself I will. Entirely possible that I inadvertently messed up the camera settings somehow while I was hiking. If not, it goes in for repair.

While I was searching for the Olympus camera repair shop... That's when I came across the big fancy lens that Olympus/Zuiko is offering for a cool $7,499.99. Apparently I was off by a penny. :)

It's a 150 - 400 with a built in 1.25 converter making it the equal of about a 1,000mm lens for a 35mm camera. And, at $7500, I have no intention of buying it. It's just one of those things that made me think "Oh my goodness." These days I'm using a 75-300 Zuiko lens for my wildlife photography. It's about $400 - $500 as I recall. More my price range. :)

Just want to get my camera up and running again. I'll not long be satisfied with the backup.

Guy

Guy Miner":1skjv9bh said:
My Olympus OM-D camera quit working yesterday. It was fine... Then it wasn't. Won't focus anymore.

Fortunately I have a backup Olympus camera of lesser ability, that accepts the same Zuiko lenses, so it's all set up and ready to go now.

If I can troubleshoot and fix it myself I will. Entirely possible that I inadvertently messed up the camera settings somehow while I was hiking. If not, it goes in for repair.

While I was searching for the Olympus camera repair shop... That's when I came across the big fancy lens that Olympus/Zuiko is offering for a cool $7,499.99. Apparently I was off by a penny. :)

It's a 150 - 400 with a built in 1.25 converter making it the equal of about a 1,000mm lens for a 35mm camera. And, at $7500, I have no intention of buying it. It's just one of those things that made me think "Oh my goodness." These days I'm using a 75-300 Zuiko lens for my wildlife photography. It's about $400 - $500 as I recall. More my price range. :)

Just want to get my camera up and running again. I'll not long be satisfied with the backup.

Guy
Most of those big lens the pro sports photographers use are rentals. maybe you could rent one.

Guy Miner":1idkopse said:

Guy
Cheaper to buy a new OM-D than to buy that lens.

However, a photographer I know says that you can do much better with a good camera and great lenses than a great camera with good lenses.

I’d agree with that sentiment. Borrowed a pro lens one time for pictures at a concert event. The clarity and crispness was amazing!

Good luck fixing the body or getting a new one... the tech keeps getting better...

Ya, the camera body is shipping out today for repair.

Backup camera body is "okay" but not as good as the OM-D. I will miss my camera!

Guy

Reminds me of looking at the Tangent Theta scope!

Turns out that there's a terrific lens avail for my camera for a "mere" $2700 or so...

Much more appealing than the $7500 lens, as it does "most" of what the expensive lens does, and likely everything I need it to accomplish.

We will see. :)

I fully understand this post. I shoot canon and have 4 lenses 3 of which are L lenses. My long lens is the 300 f4 and I have a canon 1.4 tc. I can’t look at lenses without drooling over the 600 f4 but at 12 grand new that is almost as much as I paid for my 2011 Mustang convertible a few years ago. I am seriously looking at the Sigma 150-600 f6.3 which rates pretty high in most tests. I guess for about a $11,000 difference I could live with a loss of 1 1/3 stop.

Bruce

Ya, I don't know if I can make the leap to an expensive lens or not... Maybe?

Guy

Guy Miner":3nka6tft said:
Ya, I don't know if I can make the leap to an expensive lens or not... Maybe?

Guy

My wife hardly ever says a word about my hobbies but if she thought I was buying a $12000 lens she would kill me. Unless maybe if I was selling guns to do it.

Bruce

Back