338-06 bullet choice

YakAk

Beginner
Dec 6, 2009
Hello all,

First post. I have done the search but still need to ask the question. I believe with most calibers there seems to be a certain bullet weight that work best. This is my humble opinion of course.

I have ordered a 338-06 and would like to hear some opinions. I live in S.E. Alaska and I primarily hunt moose and deer. I really have no interest in hunting brown bear but have to aware, just in case. Like most people here, the bear thing just happens sometimes.

I know you are saying why not a 338 Win. Well simply, I am a recoil wimp and I don't like wearing ear plugs while hunting because of a muzzle break. I like a gun I am comfortable shooting.

I am thinking NP 210

Little Help Please,

Steve

YakAk

Welcome to the forum.

I think the 210 gr PT would be an excellent choice. It penetrates deeply and would be a good bullet for what you want to hunt.

JD338

Thanks, JD

Rockford, great town. I have not been there since I was a kid. I remember it being nice community and awesome hotdogs.

Cheers,
Steve

YakAk,

The 210 Partition would indeed be an excellent choice. Don't, however, overlook the 200 grain AccuBond. My hunting partner carries a 338-06 in which he shoots the 200 grain AB with devastating effect on moose, black bear, etc.

YakAk

Rockford, home of the Corner Bar. Did you eat 12 hot dogs and get your name on the wall? :lol:

Dr Mike is right, the 200 gr AB would also be a good choice for your 338-06.

JD338

JD338, Being a young ladd I was up for the task but it was not Mom's idea of my living legacy.

Back to the topic. Is the AccuBond as tough as a PT bullet. The only thing I dislike about the PT is how the bullet tip flatten from recoil inside the clip. Also when feeding into the chamber after a couple times. I wish they had a plastic tip like the AccuBond I assume the flat tip does not effect accuracy.

Steve

YakAk

The 200 gr AB is a tough bullet. I tested the 200 gr AB at 3200 fps from my 338 RUM and recovered these bullets from water jugs.
338RUM200grAB1.jpg

338RUM200grAB2.jpg

JD338

Thanks once again JD338. I would imagine it can handle thick hide and heavy bone.

Cheers

YakAk

You could also consider the 225 gr AB but your velocity will be lower.
338RUM225grAB1.jpg

338RUM225grAB2.jpg

JD338

Will the AB hold up as well as a PT against an ornery brown bear?

Steve

Will the AB hold up as well as a PT against an ornery brown bear?

They will perform well on bear, just as they do on elk and moose. As is always true in encounters with bear, shot placement is critical. If I were hunting grizzly, I would not hesitate to use an AB in a rifle suitably chambered for the hunt. If I am successful in getting a grizzly draw this spring, I very likely will use ABs in whichever cartridge I use.

Well, I really don't have any plans to hunt brown bear but due to a large population of brownies one must be prepared. This fall my friends went to recover the remainder of their moose they could not pack out the evening before. They discovered a 9'7" bear waiting for them. One fellow bounced three shots from his trusty 30-06 off the bears skull. So yes, shot placement is key. One of the other hunters was carrying a 416 Rigby only because his other gun was in the shop. The 416 had the power but more important the shots were placed lethally under a fast and dangerous circumstances.

Steve

Think of the AB as a 60 year newer design of the Partition. I've seen them impact game at over 3400 fps, and the rear portion maintained it's integrety. In addition, on average, they shoot better then partitions.

Here's what I would load for your conditions:

338.06: 200gr AB
338 Win Mag, 225gr AB
338 RUM 250gr AB.

YakAk,

I fully understand the possibility of encountering a grizzly when recovering meat, or even visiting some areas. While a 338-06 may not be the power house some could wish, loaded with 200 grain ABs it will be a confidence builder in any such encounter, giving you an edge in the survival game.

Thanks Guys for all your help. I will give the AB's a try.

Happy Holidays Everyone,

Steve

DrMike,

Good luck on your brown bear tag. You should come over my way and thin some ours out.

Steve

This should be the year. I had a draw in '05, and been working against penalty points since. This should be the year that I finally score.

YakAk

Welcome to the forum. The 200 AB or 210 PT will do.

Back