Accubond

high desert elk

Beginner
Oct 28, 2007
Has anyone had any experience shooting a buffalo (bison) with an AccuBond and how did it perform? I was thinking about using them on a hunt I have coming up at the end of October load would be 58.5 gr IMR4831, 160 gr bullet, 7mm WSM.

thanks!

HDE

I have no doubt that the 160 grain AB will work under ideal conditions, but personal experience leads me to suggest more frontal area and more mass. Bison are big animals, and they can do major damage in a big hurry when they are not put down smartly. Your 7mm WSM would not be allowed on bison here in BC. I'm generally in favor of the calibre/weight restrictions imposed for this particular animal. On my last bison hunt, my partner used an AB in his 376 Steyr. Performance was perfect.

DrMike":if4pjm56 said:
I have no doubt that the 160 grain AB will work under ideal conditions, but personal experience leads me to suggest more frontal area and more mass. Bison are big animals, and they can do major damage in a big hurry when they are not put down smartly. Your 7mm WSM would not be allowed on bison here in BC. I'm generally in favor of the calibre/weight restrictions imposed for this particular animal. On my last bison hunt, my partner used an AB in his 376 Steyr. Performance was perfect.

I am in agreement with Dr. Mike, I would use nothing less than a 30 caliber and a 200gr Partition. In fact if it were me and I wish it was, I would use my 300Win Mag and a 220gr Partition. Although many lesser cartridges would get the job done, my above choice would be my minimum. The 220gr Partition is an awesome bullet, just plain and simple even in a 30-06 it is truly deadly. I am working on a dangerous game load right now for my 300Win Mag and the bullet I am going with is the 220gr Partition. Will let folks know what I come up with.

Same here, I think that would be a good job for a 338WM or 35 Whelen or something in that class with alot of bullet weight and some good bullets. I would also probably give my 45-70 a shot with some good hard cast bullets. Although, if I didn't have another rifle, I certainly wouldn't pass up the chance to hunt with a 7WSM. They were killed with 30-30's for awhile and just about wiped out with blackpowder loads! Scotty

I think it will depend on where you plan on shooting the Bison, .
The 160 gr AB would work through the lungs but I think I would lean more towards the 160 gr PT in your 7mm WSM.
Larger caliber heavier bullets would be even better.

JD338

That 175 Partition is quite a bullet - it's what I used on my big bull elk some years ago - full penetration and a very dead elk. Quickly.

With a 7mm rifle, that would be my bullet for big game.

Guy, my plans for my 7mm are to load the 175gr PT to around 2900 or so and use that for everything. I like the AccuBond, but more than likely the 7 will get used for bigger animals and I have alot of confidence in that 175gr bullet with alot of SD and a great BC of being about perfect. I still remember the picture of your elk and it was a hoss. It takes some penetration to get through them. Scotty

Thanks for all the input - but failed to mention that it is not going to be a big heavy 4-5 yr old bull. I will be hunting a young bull (yearling really) which will be about the size of a good bull elk with a dress out weight of around 350 - 400 lbs (live wt around double that).

So, will the 160 gr. AB still perform well out of a 7 WSM? I do plan on bringing along a box of 160 gr Partitions as well. I just like the way the AB performs. We have killed numerous elk and oryx (on white sands missile range) in NM with them. The WSMR people will tell you that oryx is the toughest animal to kill in North America... :roll:

You should be fine with your 7mm WSM and 160 grain ABs. I assume you are getting reasonable velocities from this load (2900+ fps). It should be adequate for the task.

Even if it was a full grown buffalo, I bet you would do fine with your 7WSM/160 combo. I would want bigger, but I can't think that a buffalo would take too many of the 160's in the bread basket. Scotty

high desert elk

I agree with DrMike and bretzs that you should be fine with the 160 gr AB out of your 7mm WSM. Try the 160 gr PT and pick the one that shoots the best. Go hunt with confidence!

JD338

I shot some of the PT's this morning. I liked how they held together from 200 yds after digging them out of a clay hill I use as a backstop. Oddly enough, I will have to resight my rifle in as they are flying about 8 inches higher than the 140 gr AB's do (hotter burn from IMR 4831 vs 4350)?? I also like how the AB's hold together, but I believe the PT's will have a slower expansion throughout the impact whereas the AB's have a lot of initial shock and a more rapid expansion earlier on...I am leaning toward the PT's incase I encounter some heavier bone, after all - buffalo are built more like a beef rather than a deer - although I know the AB would do fine also.

thanks for all the help and advice!

HDE

Man, I think you are right on. The PT is king in my mind when it comes to big, heavy boned game. I shot alot of deer with the 140gr PT in my 7mm Mag and it would dump deer and it expanded really well. It has a pretty soft front core, but it is a deep penetrator! Never could keep one in a deer. The 160gr PT should be pretty decent. It has alot of SD and should be a good alternative to a bigger gun. Plus, if you stick one in the lungs/heart/shoulder of a bison, I don't think you will have too much tracking! Good luck, take lots of pictures and send a steak along! Scotty

high desert elk":15nnbbmm said:
I shot some of the PT's this morning. I liked how they held together from 200 yds after digging them out of a clay hill I use as a backstop. Oddly enough, I will have to resight my rifle in as they are flying about 8 inches higher than the 140 gr AB's do (hotter burn from IMR 4831 vs 4350)?? I also like how the AB's hold together, but I believe the PT's will have a slower expansion throughout the impact whereas the AB's have a lot of initial shock and a more rapid expansion earlier on...I am leaning toward the PT's incase I encounter some heavier bone, after all - buffalo are built more like a beef rather than a deer - although I know the AB would do fine also.

thanks for all the help and advice!

HDE

The Partition actually will have an initial expansion that is more rapid and violent than the AccuBond will be. The front part of the Partitions is not bonded and Mr. Nosler developed the Partition on purpose for this reason knowing there would be a great shock factor. The AccuBond even though it has a tip will not initially be as explosive and violent as the Partition and you add that with the back part of a Partition holding together an penetrating deep with most of the time exits, it is hard to have a better bullet for killing medium to large game.

Dang! Knowing what the AB will do on impact, I hate to think what a PT will do on impact...I've never used PT's before so didn't really know what to expect. I figured the polymer tip and pseudo hollow point design of the AB is what gave it the faster expansion - guess not. I plan on doing a neck shot just below the jaw line anyway if it is close enough so I don't lose any meat, but if not I'll have the insurance the PT can deliver. I've shot several elk with the AB's with complete pass throughs after hitting solid leg bone and the bullet holds together well. Either way, now that I know how the PT's shoot out of my gun of choice - I have several combos for future reference whether I go AB for long range for deer and cow elk (out to 500 + yds as before) to PT for heavier animals.

I shoot the 160 AB in my 7mm WSM and the 175 PT in my 7mm RM. Either will do the job on moose, elk and grizzly. I have no doubt that either will work on bison. Certainly, on a young bull the combination you suggest will work. Best of luck in your hunt, and let us know how it goes. Post a picture if at all possible.

high desert elk

The 160 gr PT is one heck of a bullet. It will take out heavy bone and keep on penetrating. It will certainly be up to the task of bison.
Good luck on your hunt and post some pictures.

JD338

Shoot that beast behind the ear will drop him immediately. My boss of many years had bison and would sell a hunt on his land and the guy would come shoot them. I think he sold like 30 in 2 years and there were guys with .338 that shot them 3 or 4 times in the heart lungs before they would drop. My boss shot a few with his 7 mag and cheap ammo and never had one take a step by shooting them behind the ear.

3 1/2 year old post but Ive shot alot of bison. I grew up with them on my fathers ranch in NE oregon. All depends where you shoot them. I have seen 30-06 core lokts fail to make it through their calvarium in to brain. Ive shot 45 acp KTW armor piercing into their skull at point blank range as a finishing shot and they do nothing. 50 and 54 caliber muzzle loaders are not even humane. 300 weatherby point blank into spine with 180 Partition will knock them down but not kill them. Still looking up at you w big brown eyes. Wont sever spine with a HV 30 caliber. 338 minimum to do that and lighter bullets better like 210 PT or 200 Bitterroot. 180 PT will disintegrate on skull but kill w one shot. 35 Whelan improved a good round for heart, spine or skull as is 375 and 375 improved even better. A bit of extra velocity is desirable but in a medium caliber not a small bore. Large bores at modest velocity suck. Think 375 improved with best bonded bullet you can find. Drop down one bullet weight or even two from std with a hard bullet like a North Fork, Trophy Bonded and some Swift calibers. 9.3 with 286 grain is too slow. .338 200-225 grain minimum. 375 with 250 - 275 bonded about perfect. You will be able to choose your shot. They just stand there!

Back