Best Factory Ammo for Pronhorn

Pronghorn Sniper

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
I’m a newby and need your guys help. I just purchased a new rifle and scope (Marlin XL7S in .25-06 Remington with a Weaver 2.8-10X44mm scope) to be used EXCLUSIVELY for Pronghorn Antelope hunting. My dilemma…I do not reload (yet) and was wondering:

Which factory ammunition would be the best for pronghorn antelope in this caliber? And why?
I believe I have narrowed my search to either the:
Winchester 110-grain AccuBond
Winchester 115-grain Ballistic Silvertip

I’m sure this question has been beaten to death already, so please don’t hate me for bring it back-up, but I haven’t read much about these two in MY caliber. :lol:

Does anybody have any info on either of these as used on pronghorn antelope ?

I plan to hunt in Eastern Wyoming, so those are the conditions under which this ammo would be performing. Thanks in advance for all your guys help. :grin:

Pronghorn Sniper

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

The 25-06 is a great choice for long range speet goats. Both the 110 gr AB and the 115 gr BT are excellent bullet choices for deer and antelope. I would suggest trying a box of each and pick the load that shoots the best in your rifle.

Have you ever considered getting into reloading? Many years of experience here to help you get started and assist you with a load that will give you the performance you desire and allow you to shoot a lot more often.
Let us know if we can help.

JD338

JD338,

Thank you for the reply. I have been told by others what you suggested..."See which ammo your rifle likes and go with that". I was planning to do that, but if all things end up being equal, I was looking for some insight about these two rounds.

One thing I am wondering...Do I want more or less penetration on a speed goat? Do I NEED penetration on a speed goat? I believe they are very thin skinned (and weighing in at a whopping 90 lbs); I'm sure either of these bullets will be crushing when it comes to "doing the job". :mrgreen:

BTW, I can't wait to start reloading!! I was really hoping to use 100-grain bullets to chase after antelope, but the factory offerings are slim pickins. I've seen the Federal 100-grain Nosler Ballistic tip, but the Winchester ammo is just sooooo sexy (all silver and black!) :oops: .

Seriously, I would love to use 100-grain Partition bullets with some R-22 powder and really amp up my F.P.S. velocities. My reason...my rifle only comes in 22" barrel and I am loosing about 70fps from the advertised specs as a result. I would love to have a 24" barrel, but I have already purchased the firearm.

Thanks for the advice and help!

Welcome to the forum. Either will work nicely and we have used both. The 100 gr BT at 3300 fps will also do nicely. That said, I am a huge AB fan.

FOTIS,

Thanks for the info and for serving our country!

I assume, based upon your location and post that your are an antelope slayer as well? What is your "go to" round for pronghorn?

Thanks.

Pronghorn Sniper":vsnl05kj said:
FOTIS,

I assume, based upon your location and post that your are an antelope slayer as well? What is your "go to" round for pronghorn?

Thanks.

That is a loaded question! :mrgreen:

PS,

You are right, you don't need penetration on a speed goat. Like Fotis, I too am a big AB fan so I would start there.
I use the 110 gr AB in my 257 Roberts and it works well on coyotes too.

JD338

JD338":1x9dgef7 said:
Pronghorn Sniper":1x9dgef7 said:
FOTIS,

Thanks.

PS,

You are right, you don't need penetration on a speed goat. Like Fotis, I too am a big AB fan so I would start there.

JD338

Another AccuBond fan. One thing that might happen with the AccuBond being used over the Ballistic Tip is that you likely will suffer a little less meat loss with the AccuBond. You would also be surprised that you might not lose that much FPS. I had not used my wife's 25-06 shooting a 120 gr. Partition in it for a while and had never chrongraphed it until just fairly recently. It too only has a 22" barrel, but with my handload I was getting an honest 3000 fps which surprised me.

Excellent cartridge for your speed goat hunting that 25-06! :grin:

6mm Remington,

Less meat loss is a good thing! I never really thought about that!! Thanks!

AccuBond it is! Consider me a convert! (not that I needed very much convincing!) :p

So, now I need to move over to the handloading side of the forum and see if the Alliant R-22 powder load I have in mind will work as good as I suspect with the 110-grain Accubonds!

Thank you guys for all the help. I am planning on a 2012 Eastern Wyoming pronghorn hunt (my first one!) and I need all the help, advice and confidence I can get. :shock:

I share your thoughts about the .25-06 being an excellent choice for speed goats.

Thanks again!

Welcome to the circus! It looks like the Accu-bonds have it. Never shot one myself but I think the wisdom expressed here is sound. The 115 should canvas ANY goat in the ole 25-06 as far as that goes. You are in a good place for some knowlege (sp). Enjoy the rifle! CL

cloverleaf,

Thanks for the Welcome. I can't wait to put a box of these through some paper! I just mounted my scope and had plans to shoot this week; just needed some sound advice on which factory ammo to try.

Here's hoping my Marlin likes these little beauties!

Thanks!

PS,

Keep us posted on the range testing with the factory 110 gr AB's.

Which Marlin rifle do you have? What kind of glass did you mount?
We are on stand by for you when you decide to start loading. RL 22 is a good powder. So is RL 25.

JD338

JD,

I just purchased a Marlin XL7S in .25-06 Remington. It has a black composite stock and a stainless steel barrel and bolt.

I mounted a silver Weaver 2.8-10X44mm scope that has the aspherical ground lenses. It's optics are as clear as a bell! To the scope I added a set of Butler Creek Blizzard scope covers which I love.

I have mounted a 9-13" bipod since I assume I will be firing it prone.

I LOVE this thing so far! :wink: I can't wait to try this factory ammo...and, I WILL be reloading. I might have to wait until after Christmas to get started with that though. Holiday events and a steep "reloading learning curve" are making sure of that!

Thanks.

Pronghorn Sniper":16pc7j8j said:
FOTIS,

Thanks.

257 WBY and 110 AB at 3500 fps.

With my 25-06 I used 110 ab at 3200 fps.

I have killed TRUCKLOADS of goats and deer with that combo!!!!!!!!!

when you decide to handload drop me a line.

The others have given you a bunch of great advice. For strictly pronghorns, the 115gr BT has gotta be top notch. Very high BC's for a 25 cal bullet and is a tough bullet from what I have seen. The 110 AB, well, I can only surmise it is going to be a great one as well.

There is a ton of reloading knowledge on here to help you when you first start up. It isn't overly complicated, but it'll be good to have a second set of ears and eyes. It sounds like you have a great set up. Scotty

Sexy-looking is nice. May not be the best out of your gun though.

My friend just acquired a used Rem M700 BDL in 25-06. During the first range session he used Federal Vital-Shok Nosler Partition 115g and Ballistic Tip 100gr, Federal Fusion 120gr, Hornady SST 117gr, and Rem Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded 115gr. They all shot sub-1.5" with the exception of the Partitions which shot 3" groups. The BTs and SSTs shot the best but the Fusion and Core-Lokt were right there also.

I think you can use any bullet chambered in 25-06 weighing 100gr or heavier and have success on pronghorn.

Grats on a nice new rifle in a great cartridge.

I would take a hard look at the Federal 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Factory load.

That is a flat shooter. If you sight in 3" high at 100 yards you're only like 3 or 4 inches low at 300 yards.

The 110-115 grainers will retain energy better but with an exclusive antelope load, you would have plenty enough bullet.

I have had great luck with this bullet in my handloads.

Dale

Wow! Talk about resurrecting a dead thread! Nevertheless, you are spot on, Dale.

6mm Remington":29sxwucf said:
JD338":29sxwucf said:
Pronghorn Sniper":29sxwucf said:
FOTIS,

Thanks.

PS,

JD338

Another AccuBond fan. One thing that might happen with the AccuBond being used over the Ballistic Tip is that you likely will suffer a little less meat loss with the AccuBond. You would also be surprised that you might not lose that much FPS. I had not used my wife's 25-06 shooting a 120 gr. Partition in it for a while and had never chrongraphed it until just fairly recently. It too only has a 22" barrel, but with my handload I was getting an honest 3000 fps which surprised me.

Excellent cartridge for your speed goat hunting that 25-06! :grin:

I have to agree with 6mm Remington on the AB for less meat loss. And with speed goats believe me you don't have a lot of meat to start with so why waste it.

Welcome aboard you picked the right forum as the people hear have knowledge beyond any other gun site that I have been on as well as they are all a whole lot of fun :wink:.
I don't shoot that particular calibre but I have been shooting Accubonds out of my 270win for many years. I believe they are top shelf when it comes to terminal performance plus accuracy.
Again welcome and I am sure we will be to help you into the addiction of reloading :mrgreen:!!

Blessings,
Dan

DrMike":1b0uxno3 said:
Wow! Talk about resurrecting a dead thread! Nevertheless, you are spot on, Dale.

Come on guys - you're answering a fellow who made 9 posts on the forum, in December, 2011, and hasn't been heard from since...

:mrgreen:

Guy

Back