Crimp or Cannelure

Apr 22, 2012
Hello, first post here.

I've been shooting Nosler Custom and Trophy ammunition in .308 cal. Mostly 165 grain partitions, but also Accubonds. The loaded cartridges appear to have a very aggressive factory crimp, or a cannelure on the bullet. I suspect the former, because the OAL on the Trophy partitions is a bit greater than on the Customs. I have never seen a cannelure on a Partition bullet, but know they were once available.

I will soon start reloading for my hunting ammunition. I may or may not use a Lee FCD. So, I would like to know about the crimp on the Custom and Trophy cartridges.

Regards!

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you aboard. I'm certain someone with insight into the factory ammunition will be along shortly. As to the use of the Lee FCD, it generates mixed reviews. I believe it fair to say that most don't use it on bullets that do not have a cannelure. I use it on many of the cartridges I use. I don't know that it enhances accuracy, but I believe that to do the case as it ensures a more uniform neck tension. I'll likely continue the practice on most of my rounds.

IndispensableDestiny

Welcome to the forum.

I can't speak to the loaded ammunition as I reload foreverything I shoot/ I only crimp for 44 mag and 45-70.Even the big manums do not get a crimp.

Most Nosler bullets do not have a cannelure. Some Nosler over run seconds do have a cannelure.

JD338

I can't answer about the Nosler loaded ammo, never have used any.

Have however been handloading for 40+ years, and my ammo has done well on the rifle range in competition and in the hunting fields.

I don't crimp most rifle ammo - the crimp simply isn't needed. Neck tension holds the bullet securely.

Crimping, I reserve for traditional lever action rifles and revolver cartridges. Stuff like the .30-30 Win, .45/70, .38 special and .44 mag - they all benefit from a crimp.

IF I loaded for a .416 Rigby or a .458 Win mag, I'd likely crimp it too. I don't even crimp my .375 H&H - on the other hand it's a single shot.

The .308 Win is a wonderful little cartridge that is a genuine pleasure to load and shoot. You won't need a crimp to get superbly accurate ammo.

Regards, Guy

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have nearly the amount of experience as most of the regulars here have. That said, I use the LEE FCD on my current .270win and previously on .243 and .308. I set it for a very light crimp just to ensure consistent neck tension. I don't know that it makes any difference, but it makes me feel better about producing a consistent product. The die is inexpensive and it is a quick and easy process.

I do not crimp, never have up through .340 Weatherby or even .375 H&H. Electrolytic bonding starts cross linking molecules between jacket metal and case neck interior metal as soon as bullet is seated into case neck. Within a couple weeks, you will have added more neck tension than you would ever think just through this chemical reaction.

Also. I do not load long anyway and use at least one diameter of the bullet for bearing surface in the case neck on the bullet. If you do these things normally, I do not think that you need to be overly concerned about crimping. Just my $.02.

Interesting timing...

I just had my Sporter 48 in 7mm-08 come back from the factor for a warranty fix, and wanted the first test ammo t be theirs when I went back out to the range.

I picked up a box of Nosler custom 140g accubonds and was surprised to see they had a cannelure and crimp! I wonder if the crimp on their production ammo is about some that just perform better with them, or if it's a liability/safety thing?

My take on crimps for factory ammunition is that is is a security measure intended for folks who may carry the same cartridge in thier rifle magazine and just load another cartridge on top of it when they shoot. Bullet tips can get pretty beaten up carried in a magazine and I have seen bullets slip back into the case neck when exposed to rifle recoil many times. If the bullet is pushed too far back into the case neck, it will increase chamber pressures and cause potential issues.

I can remember having this happen in my 7mm Mag back in the early 1960's before I started loading all of my own ammunition. This may be a liability legal issue for tha ammo companies?

Back