AB LR ammo in 7mm08 or 7mm WSM?

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
Anyone know if Nosler will start offering factory AB LR ammo in either caliber?

I have a feeling if they came up with a 7mm08 load with the 150 grn AB LR, and the 7 WSM with either the 168 or 175 grn load it would be hot stuff.

I imagine that a Nosler factory load with any of those bullets would be an excellent game taker at ranges from long to modest.

Good idea!

Guy

I definitely want the 150 gr LRAB in the 7-08.
Currently shoot the Nosler TG 140 AB but they are a little hard. Still lays them down well, but would love a little more mushrooming and the Lrab would give me just that. a little more.
I think it would be conducive to more bang flop.
SnT

I'm very curious about bullet stability with 7mm 175 partitions in the 7mm WSM. I see the Noslar data is with a 1 - 9.5 twist but there's no reference to accuracy? WHILE Berger recommends 1-8 twist or faster for their 180 7mm. Can the 5 extra grains of projectile weight make that much difference? I know there's a breaking point somewhere... is that it? Anyone have experience with 175 partitions thru a 7mm WSM?

Shu,

First off, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. To answer your question, perhaps 5 grains makes that much difference, though I really can't answer that definitively. However, the bearing surface between a 175 grain Partition and a 180 grain VLD is significant. That makes the difference. I routinely shoot 175 grain Partitions and 175 grain TBBCs in my 7 Rem Mag (10 twist) and have shot 175 grain Partitions in my 7 WSM (10 twist). Great accuracy if I keep the velocity up. Accuracy comes quickly after I near maximum charge in either rifle. I have no doubt that the answer to your question is related to the bearing surface rather than the mass of the projectile. Again, welcome aboard.

It's not the bullet weight that dictates the minimum twist rate recommendation. It's the bullet's length. Given two bullets of the same weight and diameter, with one having a longer profile and the other a shorter one, the longer bullet will always require a faster minimum twist. Flat based, round-nose bullets are the easiest to stabilize because it has a very short profile.
At least this has always been my understanding.

DrMike":21r7tlt8 said:
Shu,

First off, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. To answer your question, perhaps 5 grains makes that much difference, though I really can't answer that definitively. However, the bearing surface between a 175 grain Partition and a 180 grain VLD is significant. That makes the difference. I routinely shoot 175 grain Partitions and 175 grain TBBCs in my 7 Rem Mag (10 twist) and have shot 175 grain Partitions in my 7 WSM (10 twist). Great accuracy if I keep the velocity up. Accuracy comes quickly after I near maximum charge in either rifle. I have no doubt that the answer to your question is related to the bearing surface rather than the mass of the projectile. Again, welcome aboard.

Same here. 175 PTs shoot just fine my 7mm WSM as well and they aren't slow by any stretch either. 2900 is easy to do with some left on the table.

Back