Disappointed

wayno945

Handloader
Jan 29, 2012
I just returned from the range after doing some load testing on my 257 bob and sight in for my 35 whelen TGR. I had had some nosler custom 250 grain loads that I haven't tried so I decided to run them through my oehler. These loads are advertised at 2550fps. My chrono gave readings@ 2300 for the five rounds I fired. I thought this was strange so I chronoed a Remington factory 250 load @2450. I think I got some bad ammo, has anyone else had this this issue?

For sure, I'd contact Nosler to discuss it with them. They deserve to know about your observation and have opportunity to address it.

What kind of rifle? All rifles vary quite a bit with regarding to velocity. This especially true with cartridges like the 35 whelen where chamber dimensions vary so much between makers and the host of reamers out there.

A loose chamber will use a lot of pressure fire forming your brass. A tight chamber will create more pressure and higher velocities.

My dad's 35 whelen must have a more generous chamber because occasionally it will fail to fire federal ammo, I believe federal ammo is a little on the small side and allows it to slip forward just enough to keep the primer from going off, but will fire on the second try 90% of the time. Remington ammo will fire 100% of the time.

The reamer we use at my buddy's gunshop is a tad tighter, it fired 100% with all ammo but I notice a little bit of "crush" when using Remington ammo, similar to when loading a standard cartridge into an ackly chamber.

That is a issue with a lot of these recently standardized cartridges. The 280 ackly has similar issues.

I am with Mike here, call Nosler and ask them. 2300 is about like a 358 Winchester..

I'm glad I found this thread.
My hunting partner is two grains over max, no pressure signs, with his .35 Whelen loads and not getting the velocity he is expecting. I'm going to send him the link to this thread.

Vince":3g3f7rc5 said:
I'm glad I found this thread.
My hunting partner is two grains over max, no pressure signs, with his .35 Whelen loads and not getting the velocity he is expecting. I'm going to send him the link to this thread.

I am a whole bunch over most books MAX with RL15. There is no good way to get the speeds given, with the amount of powder used. The Whelen is one of those cartridges that QL really helps out at.

So with so many different chamber sizes and reloading dies cut to samii tolerances how do you get accurate ammo out of a 35 Whelen?

truck driver":8q7dujnc said:
So with so many different chamber sizes and reloading dies cut to samii tolerances how do you get accurate ammo out of a 35 Whelen?

Build it,adapting it to your own rifle.

andrewctillman":16c9nydh said:
If you are not getting the velocity you expect from manuals try a hotter primer?

A HOTTER primer will not make any measurable amount of velocity difference ! :wink: RJ

Contact Nosler.
As for handloads, I'm getting 2574 fps with the 250 gr PT and RL 15 from a 700 Classic
with a 22" barrel. Accuracy is under moa.

JD338

Rem Jim":h5qpapkw said:
andrewctillman":h5qpapkw said:
If you are not getting the velocity you expect from manuals try a hotter primer?

A HOTTER primer will not make any measurable amount of velocity difference ! :wink: RJ

I don't agree with that all the way Jim. I have seen 50FPS from switching from a CCI250 to F215M. Also seen some larger changes on smaller cartridges. Maybe on big jugged cases like the Wby and RUM's you may not notice it, but on most of the smaller cases, the difference has been very measurable.

wayno945":304c4bos said:
I just returned from the range after doing some load testing on my 257 bob and sight in for my 35 whelen TGR. I had had some nosler custom 250 grain loads that I haven't tried so I decided to run them through my oehler. These loads are advertised at 2550fps. My chrono gave readings@ 2300 for the five rounds I fired. I thought this was strange so I chronoed a Remington factory 250 load @2450. I think I got some bad ammo, has anyone else had this this issue?

I just posted about their Nosler Custom Match Grade 223 77 gr. Custom Competition ammo I tested the other day that was roughly 250 fps slower then advertised as well...... so you're not the only one!

I spoke with one of the technicians at Nosler about this issue back in October. He told me the lot of ammo was pressure tested @ 2488 fps. They were not sure about why the velocity difference was so great but they sent me three 25ct boxes of 250s to reload my spent brass. I've been meaning to pull down some of those bullets to weigh the powder charges, maybe this week. I'm glad their customer service tried to make it right, perhaps you should give them a call Cole.

Load data 35 Whelen lot #3557 9/6/11
Velocity: Avg 2488 fps
Peak pressure avg: 50300
There was only a 10fps deviation from high to low velocity during testing.

I am surprised, Wayno. The Nosler's that I have chrono'ed were faster than the box spec said they were. Particularly the .257 Roberts which surprised me. I have some Nosler 7mm 168 ABLR factory loads which I will chrono in the next couple of weeks, just for more info.

Well I didn't get the same response Wayne. It seems the ammo I have must have been incorrectly labeled? The 77 gr. CC 223 Ammo was advertised at 2550 fps, not the 2750 fps printed on the labels of the boxes I have. And no free bullets or a pat on the back for the mistake, just that mikes@nosler.com will look into the issue.

Oh well, buyer beware I guess!

Back