Succesful hunt - damaged ammo

kimbroughr

Beginner
Mar 23, 2007
Good evening all. Just completed a successful Whitetail hunt in Tennessee - 1 doe and 1 buck (8 point). One shot each, 40 yards and 160 yards, respectfully. Both shots were through and through, no bullets recovered. Both dropped within 50 feet. Rifle - Nosler Custom Rifle, 280 AI. Nosler Trophy Grade ammo w/ 140 gr. AccuBond.
Now my issue/question. I had two rounds of ammo whose white polymer tips broke off. One in the rifle mag (from recoil? - found the tip when I emptied the mag) and another in my vest pocket - it was secured in a web/stretch loop - not rattling around loose. I have searched the forum, but don't see anyone else who has posted about broken polymer tips. Is this common or unexpected? I guess worst case, I now have 2 hollow-points.

When AccuBonds were first released, I had several cartridges in which the tips fell out. I have not witnessed it since. I'd say that is not at all expected. I'm certain Nosler would be interested in hearing of your experience and receiving the lot number of the ammunition.

Call Nosler Customer Service and they will make it right with you.
800 285 3701

JD338

This happened to me when I loaded some 180 grain accubonds for my 30-06 that were in an older style of packaging. The Nosler Rep. told me that they had a defect with that particular lot#. He suggested, and I did, press the unused bullet tips on a hard surface to see if they broke and were defective. He asked how many boxes of that lot# I had and he sent me free replacements. I only trust the old lot# bullets for fouling a clean barrel or target shooting, not hunting.

Thanks for all the info and insight. I'll give them a call. I have a few boxes, will check the lot numbers.

Back