30 Nosler

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Looks like it is coming according to reliable sources at 24hourcampfire. Pretty sure I won't get one but am curious if any of you are? I have a bit of interest in the 26 Nosler but nothing at all in the 28 or 30 cal versions.

I expected 30 to be next. Doing 1 a year to be unveiled at the shot show just like the 26 and 28 I guess.

There was an article in Eastman's Hunting Journal, Sept. issue, about a .30 (300) Nosler cartridge/rifle development. The rifle used in the tests had an 8.5" twist carbon fiber/steel liner barrel. They test bullet was a 210 gr. Nosler LRAB bullet. The velocity claims were in the 2900 fps range.

This testing was NOT done by Nosler, nor was the rifle built by them, to the best of my knowledge.

I have to wonder what the powder capacity is?

I've seen some field shooting with the .300RUM....impressive.

Apparently it is slightly shorter than the 26 and 28.

Hey all. I wrote the article that you saw in Eastmans. To my knowledge, I am the first person to build this rifle outside of Nolser themself.Kodiak
I built the rifle with close consult with the Nosler Family ahead of the official launch date and with their permission. It is a fantastic round that is replacing my other 30 cal rifles including my 300 RUM. The velocities are true and the rifle twist was actually 8.44. and I did it in a 24.5 inch bbl length for hunting.

Gamesniper19

Welcome to the forum.
It looks like the 30 Nosler is going to be a pretty good round. Post some pictures when you can.

JD338

Welcome aboard, Gamesniper19. Sounds as if you built a fine rifle.

Thanks all. I usually stay pretty quiet in Social Media but this was so fun I had to chat about it.

Attachments

• 30 Nosler Highlander.jpg
    30 Nosler Highlander.jpg
    500 KB · Views: 4,544
Beautiful long range rig.
What kind of accuracy are you getting?

JD338

Saw a used custom rifle in 28 Nosler built by Rocky Mountain Rifles on the used rack at Corlane's in Dawson Creek yesterday. Talking to Travis (gunsmith), he is pretty pumped on the 28 Nosler. Nice looking rig.

Might have been interested, but I have had such great luck and success with the 7MM STW I found used at a steal of a price back in '98, that it hard for me to stray from it.

I do like what I have read and heard on it to date, and would be looking at it closely if I wasn't so happy with my STW, which has a fast barrel, getting 3222 fps with the 160 gr AB out of a 24" barrel. And prints 1" groups at 300 yards when I do my part.

That 30 Nosler seems to mimic the 300 WBY from a shorter case which is a pretty awesome place to be.

GAmesniper, how long was the mag box in the rifle you built? Great looking rig.

SJB358":175i02it said:
That 30 Nosler seems to mimic the 300 WBY from a shorter case which is a pretty awesome place to be.

GAmesniper, how long was the mag box in the rifle you built? Great looking rig.

Good point.
Building the 30 Nosler on a magnum action would allow for more case capacity if needed.

JD338

ALL
I am getting sub .3 groups with the 210 ablr at 2980 fps. I get sub .2 with the 220 grain HPBT nosler match at 2870 fps. These are 5 shot groups.
I used a long action to ensure that I could get full case capacity and i am currently seated .0235 off the lands. The ablr likes a lot of jump.

I have made a couple of other changes now that I have some time and rounds with the rifle. To date, I have 148 rounds through it and am very happy with consistency and performance. The magnum action is the way to go with this round. The parent case is a 404 jeffery so you can pretty much call is a shortened 300 ultra with a sharper shoulder and longer neck. Here is a good photo of the two next to each other so you can see how much case capacity I can use with it. It allows me to use a shorter barrel with a much tighter twist and still burn nearly all the powder.

Attachments

• IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4,478
Looks awesome GS19.. Should be an awesome 30 up on the mountain. The ability to run those 200's at 3000FPS really makes a heckuva elk rifle at all ranges.

Back